Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Greg 18 posts 38 karma points
    Dec 12, 2014 @ 17:45
    Greg

Running on machine name vs localhost, and workflow questions

Hello,

I'm new to Umbraco and have never used WebMatrix either. I've been setting up our site with success on my local and we also have created a dev server where I'm publishing my work to for testing.

I'm still busy working in templates and site set up, but we want to get the content creators to start posting in real content as we go. So  the code, files and db need to be worked on at the same time.

Currently, only I can access my local machine.

First off, I would like to access my local site via the machine name vs localhost so others on our team can view and contribute. I can't seem to get this working... I figured it would be as easy as setting the server name in WebMatrix but it's only working with localhost and the port. 

Do I need to run IIS to accomplish this?

Secondly... should I really be developing local and publishing my changes to the dev server as needed? Then the content editors can access and edit there? Currently this works... but of course when I push I wipe out their changes. I assume Courier can help me here?

I've tried pulling/downloading from the dev to my local using the download option in WebMatrix... but it's not working as the log shows it is trying to use the dev server's connection string on my local. Not sure what I'm doing wrong there as I can't find the setting to control this.

Should I really just be using Courier for this? This workflow seems really bad.

• Greg 18 posts 38 karma points
    Dec 12, 2014 @ 18:40
    Greg

Ya know, I just moved it to IIS and I'm feeling better about the set up already

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft