Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Taymar 9 posts 29 karma points
    Dec 14, 2014 @ 07:37
    Taymar

Moving a 4.7 site and changing the database name?

I've been trying to move a 4.7 site & database from one host to another, and am running into issues with the database.

The site was using websitepanel, and now needs to be moved to plesk parallels.

For whatever reason, I cannot create a new database with the same name - parallels tells me the name already exists. This may be a remnant of a previous failed attempt. The database name does not show up in sql management studio though so I'm not sure why it's throwing the error.

Anyway... I've tried doing it by renaming the database and updating the connection string, but Umbraco does not seem happy. I've had the issue where the dependencies don't get loaded correctly so my backoffice has no styles or JS. More recently, I'm getting the invalid object umbracoDomains error message.

I've tried deleting the contents of the appdata/temp folder but it hasn't helped. My guess is that something in the database is telling umbraco to look for a specific database name/user account and it's not finding it.

Any help would be massively appreciated, I've been stuck on this all day.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 14, 2014 @ 08:28
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Taymar

Does the new host support Umbraco? And does it support full or medium trust? Maybe it's a good idea to check with the host that everything has been setup correctly.

Also...what version of MSSQL was being used at the old host? And what version is being used at the new host?

/Jan

Dec 14, 2014 @ 08:54
    Taymar

Hi Jan, thank you!

Yep it does support umbraco with full trust - it's actually the same host (softsys), I'm just trying to consolidate by moving from websitepanel to parallels.

I think the old site is running SQL server 2008 R2. The new one appears to be running 2012

• jivan thapa 194 posts 681 karma points
    Dec 14, 2014 @ 09:32
    jivan thapa

Hi, Taymar,

Have you considering using a tool like (https://sqlazuremw.codeplex.com/) to move the Database?

It's very handy tools. I use a lot.

Just do not confuse with azure. You can also use for Sql Server.

Dec 14, 2014 @ 09:36
    Taymar

Thanks Jivan. I haven't tried any tools (this is a bit more complicated than I'm used to).

Does it sound like the issue may be caused by the different versions of sql? I can certainly try that tool out if I can figure it out.

Dec 14, 2014 @ 10:04
    Taymar

I think I got it... the whole <handlers> section was missing from my web.config under system.webserver. The link I found earlier wasn't too clear about where that section goes, so I tried adding it inside modules. I guess that was incorrect as I've now added it AFTER the <modules> section and the backoffice now displays correctly. Thank you guys so much for the help.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 14, 2014 @ 15:23
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Taymar

Since you're going from MSSQL 2008 to MSSQL 2012 there should be no issues migrating the database. It's an issue if you go from 2008R2 to 2008.

Next time you do an upgrade you can always try using a tool like winmerge to compare your old web.config with the new one to see if something should be merged in or not.

But glad that you got it working now - But might be a good idea to to a compare anyway in case you have missed other stuff. Also make sure to merge the /config/ folders using the same approach and adding new files etc.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft