Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Johan 50 posts 174 karma points
    Dec 16, 2014 @ 16:39
    Johan

Microsoft CE db limitations?

I have always been using a normal MS SQL db so that there is no worries when the DB grows. But now I am facing with an installation with the CE option and need to update me of its limitations when used together with the fantastic Umbraco.

1) How many nodes can you create before you need to upgrade the CE to a full MS SQL db?

2) How many MB filesize until it goes sluggish and you have to update to full MS SQL db?

3) Upgrade procedure when facing a micgration from CE to full MS SQL db is it tricky or done relatively easy

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 16, 2014 @ 16:53
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Johan

According to this post CE SQL has a maximum of 4GB data http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7524197/does-sql-server-compact-still-limit-to-4gb

Unless you're building a pet project I would not recommend using CE SQL in production. It's fine for prototyping and so on but not all 3rd party packages support it out of the box and it does only support a subset of SQL as far as I know.

But fortunately it's rather easy to migrate from CE SQL to MSSQL using Webmatrix for instance in my experience.

I think the main reason for HQ to have chosen CE SQL as the default database is because it makes it fast to get through the installation process and get up and running if you're new to Umbraco. It's also possible to customize the installation and provide the credentials for MSSQL if one would rather just get up and running using it straight away though.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Cheers, Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft