Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonathan 6 posts 39 karma points
    Dec 30, 2014 @ 18:10
    Jonathan

7.2.1 install runs fine, but don't get option to select db server...

Hello,

About a week ago, I succesfully ran the NuGet installer to create a fresh installation that uses SQL Server 2012 on a different host than my local, followed the instructions, added my Sql user, etc... everything went great and worked like a charm.

Now, I've wiped out that install and doing another fresh one and I can't seem to get the setup screens that allow me to select the db server. It automatically installs it to a SQL CE on my local machine. I've started everything from scratch with a blank VS project and NuGet, new database instance (on the same server as before) using the NuGet and IIS instructions.

NuGet installs fine, build runs without errors, initial splash screen on startup is the room of cheering white dudes. Message says installing database, then drops me on create new user screen. User created no problem and then land on default Umbraco admin.

Questions:

1) I'm happy to run a manual db script install on the SQL server, but I can't locate standalone scripts for create.

2) Any ideas about why I don't get the setup screens to select db?  Or, how can I force trigger a new db install?

Many thanks,

Jonathan
    Environment: Win 8.1, VS2013 Ultimate, SQL Server 2012, IIS 7.5 Site (not VDir)

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Dec 30, 2014 @ 18:52
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Jonathan and welcome to our.

In Umbraco 7, the database that is used by default is the SQLCE, by you can choose to use other database, when you are doing the installation. On the installation screen you see a grey customize button, in there you can specify the database you want to use.

But you have to fill out the information on the install screen to be able to click the customize button.

Since you have installed Umbraco and it works fine, then you can convert the SQL CE database into a SQL database, the easiest way to do it is to install the webmatrix, With Webmatrix it really makes it a bliss to migrate the database from CE SQL to MSSQL - I have done it many times. You can download it here http://www.microsoft.com/web/webmatrix/

When you have downloaded open up your Umbraco installtion in Webmatrix, then you will see a tab in the left corner called databases, then you will get access to the database tables and then can migrate the database. Try to see this guide http://www.microsoft.com/web/post/migrate-a-database-to-sql-server

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

• Jonathan 6 posts 39 karma points
    Dec 30, 2014 @ 19:13
    Jonathan

Oops, yes that was it... used "customize" and everything installed perfectly!  I think I didn't consider "customize" because I assumed it was to install add-in components and libraries.

Thanks very much for the quick response.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft