Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Giuseppe 11 posts 30 karma points
    Jan 01, 2015 @ 17:20
    Giuseppe

New of Umbraco, how to move on host an Umbraco website...Help!

Hallo guys, I'm starting to study the majestic Umbraco Cms, I really love it! Now I'd like to move online a basic website on my hosting space (TopHost)... The problem is, I already tried with Webmatrix by IIS but I was not able to do it, I take always the same error, connection timeout. But I've verified the right user and password of my webserver, and I used Ftp like transfer method. I''m a bit confused, in another post the suggestion was to not upload all Umbraco package folders, and I'm too surprised about the weight of a final Umbraco website....45Mb? Is right? I hope to don't be stupid with my questions, but I appreciate a lot if someone can explain me the right way to do it, I'm a web designer with basics knowledges about Databases and related stuff, but I'd love to make Umbraco my new developing amazing way to build websites. I need a step to step guide to make my websites working on host space, Thanks a lot for everybody will help me!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR ;)

• Davide Oliva 35 posts 199 karma points
    Jan 02, 2015 @ 11:00
    Davide Oliva

Ciao Giuseppe and Happy 2015!

Can I ask you some question?

- Which kind of hosting package do you have on tophost and which version of Windows does it have?

- Which version of Umbraco are you trying to install?

Davide

Jan 02, 2015 @ 12:08
    Giuseppe

OS LINUX WEBSERVER APACHE Php 5.4.4

I'm trying to move live a local installed empty package...of Umbraco 7.2

Thanks Davide, but are you italian?;)

Jan 02, 2015 @ 13:13
    Davide Oliva

Yes, i'm italian! :)

As reported in this page: http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/system-requirement, Umbraco 7.x needs:

• IIS 7+ (II6 may still work but is untested)
    • SQL CE, SQL Server 2008 and higher
    • ASP.NET 4.5 Full-Trust
    • Ability to set file permissions to include create/read/write (or better) for the user that "owns" the Application Pool for your site (NETWORK SERVICE, typically)

IIS 7 is a webserver that runs on Windows OS, from windows 2008 and above, so your linux tophost plan is, unfortunately, unsuitable to host umbraco.

Among the Italian hosting providers, there are very few that provide hosting plans compatible with Umbraco: so I think that it is better to rent a Windows VPS where to install Umbraco.

Davide

Jan 02, 2015 @ 14:15
    Giuseppe

Thanks Davide, I'm a bit confused....I'm web developer/designer working on a project that will use a website for customizable templates that will include inside lot of websites....that's my question...So if a customer will ask me to update the company website that's working on apache server I need to ask to migrate on Windows platform....right? With Times for hostname migration very relevant as you know....As well Umbraco see not so Server Friendly....I'm a handcode web developer and using bootstrap I've not this problem...my websites are working perfectly on all web platforms....what do you suggest me? I'd like to learn and study Umbraco it's so powerful! But, I need to choose the best way to achieve my targets. Thanks for your answers, if you have some nice suggestion about let me know! Thanks Davide;)

Jan 05, 2015 @ 13:02
    Giuseppe

So I can't use Umbraco to go live on server Linux? Only Windows servers? Thanks

Jan 05, 2015 @ 17:45
    Davide Oliva

Sorry for the delay in answer, Giuseppe.

I fear that you're right: windows servers only can run Umbraco.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft