Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lucas Chasteen 24 posts 92 karma points
    Jan 05, 2015 @ 22:18
    Lucas Chasteen

IIS Settings for many Umbraco instances on a server

We've set up a number (currently ~30) of Umbraco sites on a single IIS server, and have run into a few questions regarding server settings and the like.  Here are some discoveries I've come across.

It certainly helps reduce initial memory consumption when Enable 32-bit Applications is True (and we shouldn't need to reference more memory than that with these sites).

There are a also few IIS guides like the following:

ASP.NET 2.0/3.5 Shared Hosting Configuration

ASP.NET App Suspend – responsive shared .NET web hosting

and finally this:

Performance Improvements for Web Hosting

We haven't done extensive testing with the various garbage collection, but I've done a bunch with the aspnet_intern.exe assembly interning in the last link.  I've gotten to a point were I can see that each w3wp is calling assemblies from the intern directory but I'm really not seeing any performance differences.   If anything, I'm seeing slightly higher RAM usage after interning, which is ... counterintuitive.

Has anyone else experimented with these methods?  Has anyone had any better luck with assembly interning?  It seems like it would be a great benefit for our situation.

We're running Umbraco 7.1.8 on a Windows 2012 R2 server with IIS 8.5 and .NET 4.5.1 and wind up with pretty consistent memory usage per site around 220MB - 300 MB. Each site has maybe 40 content/media nodes.

Thanks,

Lucas

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft