Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• John Smith 3 posts 23 karma points
    Jan 08, 2015 @ 19:23
    John Smith

Which folders contain user content?

Hi All,

We're working on a way of deploying Umbraco by basically just copying all of the Umbraco install into the right place, but we don't want to copy over the folders that contain user content (like images, and Media). Does anyone know which folders can have user content in them (again like images and Media) and which ones don't? The ones that don't we can copy over with our new content without problem, but we don't want to overwrite user data.

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jan 08, 2015 @ 19:29
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Joel and welcome to our,

The only folder as I know that contains user content in the Umbraco file structure is this Media folder. You can read about the different folders in the Umbraco installation here: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/files-and-folders/permissions

But the only folder I usually donĀ“t copy to the production site is the Media folder.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Jan 08, 2015 @ 19:32
    John Smith

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. It should be really helpful!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 08, 2015 @ 21:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Joel and welcome to our :)

As Dennis points out you should never copy over the /media/ folder from local unless it contains the content, which should also be displayed on your live environment.

Apart from that there are no other content folder on the disk as such.

However I recommend that you leave out the /AppData/TEMP folder as well when doing your deploy. As the name implies it contains temporary files, which you don't want to copy up on your live site. Furthermore you should not copy over the /AppData/Logs folder either. No need to have your local logs on your server.

Also be aware of maintaining a local web.config and a live web.config if you are using another connection string in production for another database containing live data.

Same goes for /config/UmbracoSettings.config if you make use of the

That's what I can think of from the top of my mind.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Jan 08, 2015 @ 21:25
    John Smith

Thank you very much for the information. This is all very helpful.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft