Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan 1288 posts 3921 karma points c-trib
    Dec 22, 2009 @ 15:35
    Dan

Umbraco UI in different language

Hi,

I have a French client who wants a website set up with Umbraco.  I think I'm right in saying I can make the Umbraco back-end system appear in French if I change the language under settings -> languages, right?  However when I select French and save, it doesn't save - it just reverts back to 'English (United States)'.  Do I need to add language files to a configuration file somewhere to do this?  If so, how; if not, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks all.

• Thomas Höhler 1237 posts 1709 karma points MVP
    Dec 22, 2009 @ 16:42
    Thomas Höhler

Take a look into the folder /umbraco/config/lang there are all language files you can use in the backend.

Then you can change the language for each user separately

hth, Thomas

• Thomas Höhler 1237 posts 1709 karma points MVP
    Dec 22, 2009 @ 16:44
    Thomas Höhler

btw, after changing the language for yourself you have to reload the site to reflect the changes...

Thomas

Dec 22, 2009 @ 17:07
    Dan

Thanks Thomas.  In umbraco/config/lang there are 10 files.  However, in the Umbraco CMS settings/languages there are maybe 100+ options.  I've tried picking 'French' and 'French (French)' from the settings/language drop-down and saving, then logging out/in and it just defaults back to English when I view the settings panel again.

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Dec 22, 2009 @ 17:12
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Dan,

changing the language in settings->languages is meant for a language-change at the front-end.

What you want is a language-change for the back-end-user right? Then go to Users, select the user you ned to change the language for and there set the desired language.

Once that user logges in, those language-settings will be shown.

HTH,

Peter

Dec 22, 2009 @ 17:53
    Dan

A-ha! That's it, thanks Peter!

• Lasse 10 posts 50 karma points
    Feb 05, 2014 @ 13:08
    Lasse

Please help me...

I can't understand why my french website is showing "news and events" (like my english site) but have translated everything else, when my german has translated it to "Neuheiten und Veranstaltungen".

How do I change that ?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft