Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Griffiths 370 posts 1021 karma points
    Jan 28, 2015 @ 00:18
    Paul Griffiths

Server not found for umbraco install

Hi all,

So i have have a little problem getting my manual install to work. I have installed many umbraco projects in the past and am quite familiar when it comes to setting them up but i recently had a new laptop and im experiencing some strange issues.

So i have set up my DB and user, downloaded version v6.2.4, set up IIS and my hosts file and pointed it to the unzipped the files in the directory but when i try and browse to it it is saying that the server is not found.

I have other (none umbraco) projects set up locally and use them via IIS and when i browse for them they work perfectly.

What could be going wrong here please?

Umbraco v6.2.4

DB - SQLServer 2008

IIS 7.5

Cheers

Paul

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 28, 2015 @ 05:25
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Paul

Have you checked that the binding for you local domain was setup on the IIS site?

What does the error screen exactly look like?

/Jan

Jan 28, 2015 @ 10:47
    Paul Griffiths

Hi Jan,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have set the bindings up in IIS and below is the following server not found error. the local url that i am using is pact.local

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

Inside my hosts file i have 127.0.0.1 pact.local

many thanks

Paul

Jan 28, 2015 @ 10:50
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Paul

You should be able to approach the site by going to http://pact.local - If you don't include either http:// before the local domain or write it with a backslash at the end like pact.local/ - Then the browser is not able to figure out what to do.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Jan 28, 2015 @ 10:58
    Paul Griffiths

Hi Jan,

thanks for getting back again.

I have tried browsing http://pact.local and hhtp://pact.local/ and i have been unsuccessful :(

Thats why i cant quite understand why this is not working for me

many thanks

Paul

Jan 28, 2015 @ 11:01
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Paul

You're welcome - What browser have you tried? Perhaps try another one.

Is the path in IIS pointing down in the folder containing Umbraco? (Sorry, I don't know your folder structure and how you usually structure your projects :)).

/Jan

Jan 28, 2015 @ 11:34
    Paul Griffiths

Hi Jan,

I have tried it in IE, firefox and chrome and it is not working in any of them.

sorry, what do you mean is the path in IIS pointing down at the folder containing umbraco?

I have a folder on my c drive which contains the umbraco install files and then from IIS i have mapped the path to this

hope that makes sense

thanks

Paul

Jan 28, 2015 @ 12:30
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Paul

Makes sense - That answers my question and it's mapped correctly indeed.

Ok, perhaps something is not configured properly on the server? Firewall blocking?

If you try to add www.pact.local as a binding and in your hosts file does it then work or do you still get the same issue? If so I think it's perhaps a firewall issue or some IP configuration stuff somehow?

/Jan

Jan 29, 2015 @ 15:53
    Paul Griffiths

Hi Jan,

First of all apologies for wasting your time! Just checked everything with a fresh mindset and realised I made a school boy error with this one!

The reason i was unable to reach pact.local is because it wasn't configured in the original C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file!

Heres what happened

I thought i had created a hosts file shortcut on my desktop (for quicker access) but it turns out i had made a new instance of the hosts file. So with pact.local inserted into the hosts file sitting on my desktop it was never present in the actual hosts file because it wasn't a shortcut!

Cant believe i done that, i guess i best not do things half asleep next time :(

Sorry again for wasting your time.

Paul

Jan 29, 2015 @ 17:55
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Paul

Oh my...:D Well good that you figured it out. Sometimes it's just those silly little things right? No need to be sorry, stuff like that happens to all of us.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft