Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• eddy 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 03, 2015 @ 13:37
    eddy

Installing Umbraco 7 against SQL Server 2005

A client of mine would like Umbraco 7 installed against a SQL Server 2005 database instance.

I have read up on this and it states that Umbraco 7 installations require "SQL CE, SQL Server 2008 and higher or MySQL" - so I let my client know this.

However, my client has now gone ahead and installed Umbraco 7 against SQL server 2005 themselves and say that it was successful and that nothing seems wrong. 

What are the main reasons for not being able to install Umbraco 7 against SQL server 2005? Does anyone know? I cannot find any further information on the subject apart from the system requirements of Umbraco 7 here: http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/installation/system-requirements

Obviously I would like to get back to my client with a more concise reason for not being able to instal against SQL server 2005.

Thank you for your assistance

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 03, 2015 @ 13:46
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Eddy and welcome to our :)

Well even though it's not officially supported does not mean that Umbraco can't run and function on MSSQL 2005 necessarily - But if some issues should occur with Umbraco now or in the future due to the fact one is using MSSQL then you have been warned before-hand and Umbraco HQ will not spend any time on making things work in a backward compatible manner if a bug is found, which requires some core changes in order to support MSSQL 2005. So if it works on 2005 without any issues then that is fine for now but may not be future proof if the client wants to upgrade to a newer version of Umbraco - But if that should happen at some point I think it would be possible to make a dump of the database anyway so not that big a deal.

Another thing to consider is that even though the Umbraco CMS is able to be run on MSSQL 2005 it's no guarantee that some of the popular 3rd party packages, which requires database access will be able to work with Umbraco on a MSSQL 2005 instance. Again...I'm not saying it's impossible that it will actually work but it's not something that I think the various package developers are testing either.

I hope this is useful even though it's not much.

/Jan

• eddy 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 03, 2015 @ 16:40
    eddy

Thank you for your reply.

It looks as if most developers would just stick wth the system requirements - I can find reference to anyone who has installed Umbraco against SQL Server 2005 before.

I guess the only real way to know is to do it, develop against it, and see what happens. Although I think my advice to the client will be to follow the system requirements to avoid problems in the future.

Thanks alot for taking the time to answer my query

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 03, 2015 @ 20:43
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Eddy

You're welcome and I think your approach sounds good - Hope you can talk them into changing the DB to the minimum requirements :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft