Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• René Andersen 238 posts 684 karma points
    Feb 12, 2015 @ 11:51
    René Andersen

Using Microsoft SQL server

Hi,

Until now I have been using SQL CE and that has worked fine. But I have encountered a problem so that I loose data almost every time I logoff and login again. I found this post regarding the problem:

https://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/49713-Losing-data-on-server-restart

And now I will try using SQL Server instead, but before I do so, I have a couple of questions:

1. On install, what does "Use integrated authentication" mean?
    2. Should I use the online database or local when developing? (I am developing the website local).
    3. If I use a local database, is it easy to transfer the data to a online server?

Thanks in advance!

// René

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 12, 2015 @ 12:24
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi René

1: Integrated mode means that when you logon to SQL server using the "SQL server management" client you will be using the same credentials as you logged onto your windows machine with. So instead of entering credentials when met with the login screen you can just choose "integrated" and then login

2: I think that depends on the site of your project really - Is it a pet-project or is it a business project etc. ? How often will you be modifying the database locally? The benefit of sharing the database is that it's easy to just deploy files since DB changes are already made. The downside is of course that if you mess up the database when doing something locally then you're also messing up the live site. So depending on the size of your project I would probably go with 2 different versions. Then when deploying you can use a tool like uMport, Conveyor or Umbraco's own "Courier", which is a commercial package though and might be overkill for a small project

3: This is answered above :)

Hope this helps!

/Jan

• René Andersen 238 posts 684 karma points
    Feb 12, 2015 @ 12:46
    René Andersen

Hi Jan

That was all I needed, Thanks. :-)

// René

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft