Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark Slade 48 posts 109 karma points
    Mar 11, 2015 @ 12:02
    Mark Slade

Mutliple Sites / Single Domain

Hi Guys,

I have a requirement that I need to run another instance of Umbraco inside an Application on IIS, underneath another Umbraco installation. ie:

/ - Umbraco Installation 1 /test - Umbraco Installation 2

Is this possible?

I've tried to create a separate IIS application under the root along with a separate application pool.

When I try and log into /test/umbraco it picks up the root site.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 11, 2015 @ 12:31
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mark

Would it be possible to have both sites in the same Umbraco installation? That's usually what people do when they need to have more sites accessible from within the same domain.

/Jan

• Carlos Mosqueda 240 posts 431 karma points
    Mar 11, 2015 @ 15:51
    Carlos Mosqueda

@Mark,

I would recommend that IF you must run 2 totally separate instances of Umbraco instead of combining the sites into one, I would create a subdomain and have IIS Binding point each instance.  The UmbracoInstallation1/test probably won't work the way you need it.

So in IIS, you would have your production site and your domain "umbracoinstallation.com". On this IIS applicaition, make sure that the physical folder for this applicaiton is pointed to your production Umbraco folder on the server or file structure.

For you TEST I would make a different pointer in IIS to "test.umbracoinstallation.com"  On this IIS application, make sure that the physical folder for this applicaiton is pointed to your TEST Umbraco folder on the server or file structure.

Be careful of the Web.config make sure you don't have them pointing to the same database, some not so fun things tend to start to happen. 

Otherwise you could have your production and test sites in the same Umbraco installation like @Jan suggested.

You would have something like

Content Root
     - Production Site
     - Test Site 

The benefits of this is that you can create content in your Test site and just Move the nodes to the production site. BUT if you want to edit templates, doctypes, Partial View files and your Product Site are using those, then you can run into issues.  There would be a lot of management either way, but it is up to you for your approach.

Hope this helps

• Mark Slade 48 posts 109 karma points
    Mar 11, 2015 @ 16:57
    Mark Slade

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input. I've managed to get it to work!!

I usually setup a site on a subdomain. But, the company I'm doing the work for are quite strict about no more domains or sub domains. I couldn't wrap the new site inside of the current one, becuase there would have to be changes to the code (User Controls) and time wasn't on my side. So this is why I needed to do it this way

I've created a separate "Web Application" in the root of the "Main" site. Copied the Umbraco site to their, including web.congig etc. and hey-presto, with a few permission issues resolved, it all worked. I'm not sure whether it needs it or not, but i've given the "Application" a separate Application Pool.

I'm not sure about the inheritance from the root sites web.config, but, there are both virtually identical sites, except for the content.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Mark

• Carlos Mosqueda 240 posts 431 karma points
    Mar 11, 2015 @ 17:57
    Carlos Mosqueda

@Mark,

Glad that worked.  I would definitely keep the app pools separate.  Easier to manage.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft