Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 06, 2010 @ 07:08
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Reindex throws exception (aka Lucene is driving me nuts!)

I've done a reindex (site.ext/umbraco/reindex.aspx) yesterday and it was all fine an dandy. However when I returned to do it again this morning, I get an exception in the windows even log (that tells me almost nothing) and the reindex process craps out completely.

What I've tried is a recycle of the application pool and even a full IIIS reset. The only results I get in Google is that I'm trying to runa a managed C++ module.. which to the best of my knowledge has not been installed in this application pool in the last 12 hours while I was at home.

I am running ELMAH, but it shows no errors, I've also checked the umbracoLog table for errors, nothing in there either (other than an application start as soon as I try the reindex again).

Any clues?

The event log error:

An unhandled exception occurred and the process was terminated.

Application ID: DefaultDomain

Process ID: 5724

Exception: System.AppDomainUnloadedException

StackTrace: 

• Thomas Höhler 1237 posts 1709 karma points MVP
    Jan 06, 2010 @ 09:45
    Thomas Höhler

What do you need Lucene for? For searching on the site? Then I would recommend to use another search package. e.g. the next umbraco search package umbraco examine or if you don't need to index documents another one like the xslt search or my Simple Search for Umbraco.

Also had massive problems with Lucene, so I kicked it...

Thomas

Jan 06, 2010 @ 09:53
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Well, the editors of my website need to be able to search the large amount of content in the site (currently thousands of nodes). So I'm currently stuck between not giving them search functionality or customizing the Umbraco core to give them a different search engine in the backend. Both are not really an option.

Jan 06, 2010 @ 10:01
    Thomas Höhler

4.1 will come with the new umbraco examine build in as I remember, so better times will come...

Do they use the search box in the umbraco ui? If so it could be easy to change only the js getting the autocomplete search url, then you can plugin another search engine, Did something like this a while ago, will see this noon if I can find the old code...

Thomas

Jan 06, 2010 @ 10:21
    Thomas Höhler

Found the places to look for:

in umbraco/js/quickEdit.js is the autocomplette defined requesting from umbraco/dashboard/search.aspx...

The dialog is more complicated, but to find in umbraco/dialogs/search.aspx.

As mentioned before I have some code done, but first I have to get the ok from my boss to publish it here. He gets back this noon. Can you wait till then?

Thomas

Jan 06, 2010 @ 11:04
    Sebastiaan Janssen

That would be nice Thomas, hope that it's possible to share the code! :-) 

Thanks in advance.

Jan 06, 2010 @ 16:11
    Thomas Höhler

Got it, send me your E-Mail-Address (mine is th at thoehler dot com) that I can send you the code. I will do a blog post about that in the next days...

Thomas

Jan 11, 2010 @ 13:36
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Just for the record, I've now tried the reindex on two new machines. Same database, same code. 

First: Virtual Machine, almost the same set-up as the problematic server. The same problem occurred, nice a repro! 
    Then I tried trashing most of my nodes, the problem only started occurring after editors started adding a lot of content, so I hoped it was performance related. No such luck, even with only 400 nodes in the database (yes, I emptied the trash), still got this error.

This morning I had a brainwave, let's try this set-up on my personal server. There it worked! Interesting. My server is a slower machine with only 1GB of RAM instead of 2. 
    I suddenly noticed, though, that it was running Win2008 SP2 as opposed to SP1 on the live server. 

I went back to the VM and indeed, also SP1. Interesting!

Long story short, after I'd upgraded the VM to SP2, reindex worked fine. So we might be upgrading the live server soon and then I can give a more definitive answer on whether this is the solution.

That being said, this still does not explain why the reindex worked just fine earlier on the SP1 machine...

Jan 11, 2010 @ 14:51
    Thomas Höhler

As I mentioned I wrote a blog post describing how to replace the build in search in Umbraco with another one by example with my Simple Search for Umbraco

Thomas

Jan 11, 2010 @ 14:52
    Thomas Höhler

Oups forgot the link to the blog post: http://blog.thoehler.com/2010/01/07/replacing-the-umbraco-ui-search

Thomas

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft