Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Marcelo S. 12 posts 57 karma points
    Mar 13, 2015 @ 16:11
    Marcelo S.

Umbraco 7.2.2 and MySql Database

Hi everyone!

I'm quite new in Umbraco's world, I'm still learning all features and possibilities. But I'm really enjoying it!!!

One of the things that made me choose to learn the Umbraco Cms was the option to install it in MySQL, but today I tried to install the Umbraco 7.2.2 in MySql.... without success!

I read some posts here saying that the MySql support by Umbraco team is not been maintained for a long time. The strange thing is that on the website at the section "System Requirements" there is support for MySql on Umbraco 7.x.x.

My question is: Is there some Umbraco version which I can install in MySql without errors? Someone could help me with my 7.2.2 installation? (I didn't find how to attach files, to send my log file. If necessary and possible, I can post the full log here)

Thank you.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 13, 2015 @ 16:49
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Marcelo and welcome to our :)

Unfortunately the MySQL support has suffered during the last couple of years since it's hard to maintain. There also is a downside of using MySQL if you want to rely on some of the nice 3rd party packages for Umbraco, which rely on MSSQL and don't offer MySQL support. I think it's possible to fix the MySQL issues though since it seem some people have been able to install Umbraco 7.x.x on MySQL databases...but I'm not sure it's a good idea in the long run unless a fraction of the community is interested in maintaining a project that enables MySQL support.

So I'm afraid that is bad news if you were betting on using Umbraco on MySQL. But I think it's important to keep in mind that using MySQL could exclude some 3rd party add-ons from working too.

Perhaps you can ask Jonas Skoogh here how to enable MySQL support? Just skimmed his post and seems he has something working? https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/umbraco-dev/ltcLovUcHLY

This post explains some of the reason why MySQL support has vanished a bit and how people have been able to fix it - It all comes down to the casing of the tables etc. in the database it seems - http://www.saotn.org/umbraco-doesnt-like-mysql/

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Mar 13, 2015 @ 17:45
    Marcelo S.

Hi Jan, thank you :)

hmmm That's a pity to hear that. I intended to use the MySQL because here in Brazil the shared hosting plans usually only supports MySQL and when you find some plan supporting the MS SQL, it is very expensive :(.

Thank you for the links you posted, but like you said, I think it will not be a good idea for me to use MySql, I'll have troubles to install and then, to maintain the Umbraco in future updates. Besides, for you guys abroad is cheaper to maintain an website using MS SQL, so probably, it will be a long time for the community shows interest in maintaining the MySQL project.

Would be a good choice/option use the SQLCE instead of MySQL in production server? I mean, is the SQL CE stable enough for production?

Thank you.

Marcelo

Mar 13, 2015 @ 17:58
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Marcelo

I can see that's very frustrating indeed then :-/.

I'm not a database guy so I'm probably not the best qualified person to say something clever about it. But if it's for a minor site like for instance your personal site then it's probably fine but if it's for a company website with heavy traffic then I don't think it will do. I usually only use it for getting a new installation up and running and for demo purposes. But I think it was Sebastian Janssen from Umbraco HQ who replied in a post that HQ use CE SQL for some of their projects without any issues...But people in this SO post seem to share the same thoughts about it as me http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4689403/the-limit-of-sql-ce-4-0

You should also be aware that unfortunately there is a known issue where data might be lost if you're using CE SQL along with IIS express for instance - And sometimes people claim to also have experienced it when using CE SQL and a IIS site - The issue is reported here http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-4621

Is there any chance that using Azure is an option? http://umbraco.com/azure

Hope this input helps.

/Jan

Mar 13, 2015 @ 18:47
    Marcelo S.

Thank you Jan for the replies.

I understood your point, I'll take a look at the links you sent me, and then I'll decide which way to take. SQL CE, Azure or (unfortunately) look for another cms.

Once again thank you for the help.

Marcelo

Mar 13, 2015 @ 19:05
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Marcelo

Happy to help - Hope you can find a solution so you can use Umbraco and don't need to look for another option :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft