Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt 91 posts 237 karma points
    Apr 14, 2015 @ 10:33
    Matt

Multiple dev environment - 2015

I know this topic comes up quite often but I couldn't find a very recent post/solution.

Could anyone offer insight as to how they manage developing with Umbraco with multiple developers?

Current as 2 devs we use the following:

• Each dev has IIS and SQL Server running
    • Setup Umbraco via Nuget in Visual Studio 2013
    • Source control the project using TFS
    • We manually upload all files to our deployment server and manually upload the DB
    Specifically we have problems when working on the same site as we have different DBs. Also the source control seems iffy - we are not sure which files specifically need to be source controlled. When the entire project is source controlled there are always build errors when deploying it on another machine.
    It would be great to automate the deployment process (I have been told this is possible via VS Publishing? Does anyone have experience with this setup?)
    How does everyone elses dev environment look like? What is your source control of choice? Thanks for any advice!

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Apr 16, 2015 @ 14:09
    Mark Bennett

Matt,

Check out uSync - i've started using it for my deployments and it means you don't have to copy that DB all the time.

For the source control then I include the following folders - mind I'm not working in a multiple dev environment.

I did start using publish via ftp but it was so slow. I'm still working on the best way to deploy so I'll keep you posted with how I get on.

I use Visual Studio online which is pretty much TFS in the cloud. You can set up a free repo for up to 5 peeps (with no licence) I believe.

Hope that helps buddy....I'd be interested what others have to input as well.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Apr 16, 2015 @ 14:18
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Matt and Mark,

We are using uSync for our latest projects too, it's pretty approach for versioning db. For strongly typed views we are using zbu model builder - https://github.com/zpqrtbnk/Zbu.ModelsBuilder, great package for creating class models.

We used uSiteBuilder before, but it's little bit slow and ouw sites weren't perfect in performance, but as codeFirst it's the best I think.

For deploying we are using http://www.cruisecontrolnet.org/

Thanks, Alex

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Apr 16, 2015 @ 14:30
    Mark Bennett

Yep i'm using ModelsBuilder as well. Matt take a look at the Hybrid Framework from Jeroen and the associated uHangout on what it can do if you're interested in ModelsBuilder and lots of other good stuff.

Alex I'd love to know a bit more on how you've set up the deployment with cruise control if you don't mind sharing :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft