Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• rasb 162 posts 218 karma points
    Jan 14, 2010 @ 21:19
    rasb

Your "default" packages...

Hi guys,

I would really like to know what packages you (as in each of you) install when you set up a new Umbraco Installation. I am not a very experienced Umbraco user yet, but I do have a few sites up and running... and today I set up a new site for a friend to play with. He needed to set up a very simple web site, that needs to be maintained by people with absolutely NO IT knowledge. So I told him to set up an Umbraco based system, and that I would help him install the system, so all he needed was to put data into it.

As I did this I realized that after having set up a few Umbraco installations now, the first thing I did was to go and install a number of packages, that I am pretty certain I/he will need for his website.

That is when I started thinking... are there packages out there that other install right off the bat, that are incredibly useful... that I just don't know about?!?

So please enlighten me... what does your bare bones Umbraco installation look like in terms of installed packages?

I might as well go first...

1. XSLTsearch
      Great little search engine for smaller sites. I have only ever set up one site it couldn't be used in, and that site had about half a million articles to search through.

2. IPhoneAltPage
      This is just plain cool... and the only thing I need from it is to be able to display content on not only the end nodes. I also add support for Android phones.

3. Character Limit TextArea
      Great for caption fields etc.

4. Nibble.ConfigTree
      Easy access to all config files.

5. Google Maps datatype
      Great for that "About" page where you want to display the location of the company.

6. MultipleFileUpload
      So much easier...

7. Tribal Yet Another Media Picker
      Just the one that I started using. But a media picker with preview when selecting the images is great!

8. Bit.ly Url Shortner
      Great for tracking external links!

9. Google Analytics for Umbraco
      Right up there with the IPhoneAltPage... this is just plain cool!

10. Canonical meta link packages
      Gotta make those search engines happy.

11. Google Sitemap for Umbraco
      Gotta make those search engines happy.

12. Robots.txt editor
      Again with the search engines...

Those are the ones I install from the start. What do you do?
    /RasB

• Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Jan 14, 2010 @ 21:47
    Laurence Gillian

Ek for me its just...

1. ImageGen (don't built a site without image resizing, gotta keep control of those editors!)

2. Image Cropper 

3. Media Preview

-

Occasionally XSLT Search is there and I'm more than certain bit.ly will become a very much used one.

I do use quite a few bits of XSLT which get reused from project to project. That said we probably only build 1 site a month on average (tops) most of the work we do is further development.

/Laurie

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Jan 14, 2010 @ 21:55
    Kim Andersen

You already mentioned a lot of the great of the packages out there. But one package that none of you have mentioned is the TreeMultiPicker. I use this package in all of my projects, because I want to give the users a flexible solution, where they can customize and reuse their own content on all the nodes they want, over and over again.

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jan 14, 2010 @ 22:29
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Great topic!

Actually, I've only delivered a handful of solutions, and each of them required something different, so actually no overlap (apart from XMLDump) but the ones I've been using are:

• ZipUpload
    • TreeMultiPicker
    • Doc2Form
    /Chriztian

• rasb 162 posts 218 karma points
    Jan 16, 2010 @ 00:24
    rasb

@Laurance... just took a better look at ImageGen. Never used it, but it is definitely going to be on the list from now on! Will take a look at the cropper as well when I get time.

@Kim + Chriztian... I should take a look at the TreeMultiPicker. Not sure exactly what it is used for, but sounds like something I could have used in earlier projects.

/RasB

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jan 18, 2010 @ 13:00
    Aaron Powell

FamFamFam icons! http://our.umbraco.org/projects/famfamfam-icons
    Gotta make it look as pretty as you can :D

I generally don't install any other packages though, I'll install CWS when I'm setting up demo Umbraco instances. I've lost count of the number of times I've installed that package. Doing my best to keep Warren's stats high that's for sure :P

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Jan 19, 2010 @ 16:11
    dandrayne

In this order

1. http://our.umbraco.org/projects/business-website-starter-pack (I'm biased, but i hate repetition when starting a site)
    2. http://www.percipientstudios.com/imagegen/overview.aspx
    3. http://our.umbraco.org/projects/tree-multi-picker (fantastic, had to stick to umb v3 until this came out - I use it in every site without fail)

Dan

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12898 karma points MVP 2x
    Jan 19, 2010 @ 16:50
    Richard Soeteman

My list,

CWS Package by Warren, awesome work, use it for demos all the time
    XSLT Search. by Doug. The most flexible search solution for Umbraco
    Improved MediaPicker by Tim. Simple but very powerful

Cheers,

Richard

• Lee Kelleher 4024 posts 15833 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jan 19, 2010 @ 17:20
    Lee Kelleher

Here's my usual "default" packages...

Macropicker - One of the most, if not THE most, underrated data-type for Umbraco. Use this on nearly ever Umbraco install. Love it!

XSLTsearch - The original and the best! Although I've tried Umbraco Examine ... and I might be swayed away from XSLTsearch.

Config Editor - I don't use this on all Umbraco installs, but it's very handy for quick remote access!

User Control Editor - same reasons as for the Config Editor.  Plus it's my own package, I like dogfooding!

Axendo Ultimate Picker XPath - I love Ultimate Picker... but the Axendo's XPath version is a truly excellent modification!

For occasional use, I like...

UmbImportContent Maintenance Dashboard Package - (Richard Soeteman is my hero!), AutoFoldersDesignit Video EmbedImproved MediapickerMultiple File UploadRobots.txt Editor - (again dogfooding!) and last but not least... Tree Multi Picker!

Cheers, Lee.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft