Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• pbl_dk 149 posts 550 karma points
    May 03, 2015 @ 11:31
    pbl_dk

doStaticCompression settings

Hi forum!! In the default webconfig of umbraco I noticed that compression was set to false. I found some post on the net, which actually recommended all settings set to true. Would anyone know what would happen if I set all to true?

<location path="umbraco">
        <system.webServer>
          <urlCompression doStaticCompression="false" doDynamicCompression="false" dynamicCompressionBeforeCache="false" />
        </system.webServer>
      </location>
      <location path="App_Plugins">
        <system.webServer>
          <urlCompression doStaticCompression="false" doDynamicCompression="false" dynamicCompressionBeforeCache="false" />
        </system.webServer>
      </location>

thanks! Peter

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    May 03, 2015 @ 11:48
    Stefan Kip

Hi user!!

These paths are back-office paths and are not used by visitors of your front-end, so it's not necessary to optimize those paths. It might even introduce unwanted behavior, like caching.

May 03, 2015 @ 18:18
    pbl_dk

Thank you oh all knowing forum. :-) :-)

Thanks
    Peter 

• Gunnar Már Óttarsson 4 posts 72 karma points
    Jul 22, 2017 @ 19:15
    Gunnar Már Óttarsson

That setting also has the side effect of blocking compression for all controller responses. You have to override the location="umbraco" with location="umbraco/surface" settings to get compression from your surface controller responses.

kpusoep: Are you sure about the caching? I haven't found anything indicating that activating the compression settings also activates caching. The last setting according to the iis docs https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa347437(v=vs.90).aspx controls whether the content is compressed for each request or whether the content is compressed once and then cached for subsequent requests.

Would also love to hear the reasoning behind stopping compression in the backoffice, seems like there's loads of angular views and controllers that could benefit from a good gzipping :)

Aug 30, 2017 @ 13:14
    pbl_dk

Well,

According to the IIS documentation, the default value for doDynamicCompression is "true", and not false, as set in the webconfig. So I will set this to true and test this next weeks.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft