Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Hiroshi 4 posts 24 karma points
    May 04, 2015 @ 03:52
    Hiroshi

Umbraco 4.7.0 - should I major upgrade to 7.2 or minor upgrade to 4.11.10?

Hi all

Our company website is running on Umbraco 4.7.0. 

The website also has login for our clients. (e.g. your personal page for banking)

Recently in the team meeting, we've decided to upgrade Umbraco as it's quite outdated.(as fer as we think)

So we indevidually researched for some resources for upgrading Umbraco.

1 of us found the steps to upgrade from 4.7.0 to v7.

But, from what I researched, I personally think the risk and the cost outweight the benefits.

Another thing is current website is built with webforms, not MVC, so at this stage, I think it's more reasonable to upgrade to 4.11.10 to include all the bug fixes and patches for now.

And once we are ready to move onto MVC, just rebuild the whole site from scratch with v7.

Could anybody tell me what way would be generally recommended in this situation please?

Thank you in advance :)

• Urvish 252 posts 776 karma points
    May 04, 2015 @ 07:15
    Urvish

Hi Hiroshi,

There is not issue with upgrading Umbraco V 4.7.0 to V 7.2.2.

Currently we have upgraded our client website from version V 4.7.2 to V 7.2.4.

And its working fine. We have not used MVC in that.

You can also use Umbraco 7 using Web Form.

But one thing to make sure is that Take backup before stating upgrading process.

Regards,

Urvish Mandaliya

• Hiroshi 4 posts 24 karma points
    May 06, 2015 @ 05:13
    Hiroshi

Thanks for the reply Urvish.

My main concern was because we use uComponents and seems it's not supported on v7 yet.

So there'll be code updates.

Coz I wanted to rebuild the whole site in not too far future, so I thought it would be better to rebuild with MVC if we need to touch any code just to update to v7 with the current structure.

I might ask some more team members and will decide what way would be the most cost efficient for us.

Thanks again.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft