Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Pedro Henriques 3 posts 23 karma points
    May 13, 2015 @ 10:27
    Pedro Henriques

Help Umbraco 4.6

Hello,

I am not a developer, I am a site owner who kinda got "tricked" by a developer that made got me a solution using Umbraco and then didn't give me the proper support. The thing is I am using a very dated version of Umbraco (4.6) and I reckon that is maybe the problem.

The host were I have the website (Aspnix) is also failing to give necessary support and they say if I want better support I should go for a dedicated server. Until some point, it's fair.

Aspnix upgraded to IIS 8.5 and all of a sudden I stopped getting access to Umbraco over the web. I only get the login page, I log in and then I get a blank webpage and that's it. I find that weird. Should I really be oblidged to upgrade Umbraco because of IIS? Because Aspnix tells me it's the only change they made to the webservers on that date.

Folder permission are still full trust so shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry about this messy post but I am kinda of a newb regarding this integration "stuff" and really swimming in the fog about Umbraco.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Because I am running the code locally, point the connection string to the server and updating my website like this and it's MAD!

Thank you so much in advance.

Regards,

Pedro

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 13, 2015 @ 10:54
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Pedro and welcome to our :)

Sorry to hear about the situation that you're currently facing.

I think it's probably likely that Umbraco 4.6 is not able to work with IIS 8.5 - However I have not tried making a setup to check it out. But I known that older versions of Umbraco 4.0 for instance will not work with IIS7. So it's probably the same scenario here.

And since they upgraded IIS to 8.5 I'm tinking that they probably did also upgrade the .NET framework.

So I think that you should have your site moved to a dedicated server where you're in control of the software installed so you can keep running IIS7.

Just my 2 cents.

/Jan

May 13, 2015 @ 11:07
    Pedro Henriques

Hello Jan,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Is it complicated to upgrade to a newer version of Umbraco that could work with IIS 8.5? Because dedicated servers are really much more expensive and for income I get from this not an overall good solution.

Regards,

Pedro

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 13, 2015 @ 11:28
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Pedro

Depending on the complexity of your site it can be complicated to do an upgrade from Umbraco 4.6 to 7.2.x since a lot has changed in regards to external and internal API's, the user interface is different and many old 3rd party packages might not be compatible anymore and needs to be taken care of somehow etc.

So it might not be the best option - But again it depends how complex your site is in terms of how the umbraco backoffice is setup, how document types, propery editors/datatypes are configured, the reliance on 3rd party packages, the amount of data (Content and images) etc. etc.

Perhaps it would be worth while to try and find another developer in your local area who has Umbraco competences to help you figure out what the best approach would be? It's easier when one can get some time to figure out how the solution was build and if all the source code is available etc. - You can try having a look here http://umbraco.com/certified-partners/find-a-certified-developer

/Jan

May 13, 2015 @ 12:14
    Pedro Henriques

I see. Well I really don't think it's very complex but I get the idea. When I say I got tricked it's because he implement the 4.6 version not two years ago when he might have gone to a 6 version or maybe even 7 at that point. Why 4.6? I reckon because he knew he had to make changes soon and more money would flow.

For me, in terms of client satisfaction this is clearly a no no.

thanks for you input Jan

/Pedro

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft