Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lucas 13 posts 37 karma points
    May 15, 2015 @ 10:03
    Lucas

Upgrade - DB update script?

Hi,

I'm upgrading umbraco from 4.11.10 to latest (7.2.5).

I've read general upgrade guide and version specific guides and they all makes sense.

I already went (on dev) from v4.11 -> v6.0 and after hitting problem when going directly to v7:

Umbraco.Web.Install.InstallException: The database failed to upgrade. ERROR: The database configuration failed with the following message: Invalid column name 'controlId'.
     Please check log file for additional information (can be found in '/App_Data/Logs/UmbracoTraceLog.txt')

I'm planning to upgrade to 6.2.5 and then try going to v7. So fingers crossed it will be all fine....

My question is - how should I update Live DB?

Of course I can deploy the code, but looks like umbraco will not just update DB from v4 to v7. That means I should pull DB from Live, perform update locally and put it back live.

I'm not sure how can I even do it locally... Should I:

1. after solution is updated to v7 should I try connect v4 DB and try direct upgrade (doubt it will work although I'm not sure why it wouldn't since Umbraco uses migrations to apply DB changes so ... it should just apply all the migrations, will it just...work?)
    2. can I find somewhere SQL update script or generate it from umbraco migrations?
    3. should I do DB schema compare and apply script to v4 DB? Is umbraco inserting / modifying any DATA during the upgrade, if so I don't think I can do it this way unless I have scripts for data-changes.

Any tips appreciated!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft