Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan 3 posts 24 karma points
    May 18, 2015 @ 18:38
    Dan

uComponents on Umbraco7

Hello, 

We are trying to upgrade from Umbraco 4 to 7.  Upgrading 4 to 6 worked well, but when upgrading to 7, we are having issues like this (27 to be exact): 

Property Editor with ID 'c2d6894b-e788-4425-bcf2-308568e3d38b' (assigned to Data Type 'custom: Multiple Content Picker') does not have a valid GUID -> Alias map. It will be replaced with a Readonly/Label property editor.

The 'custom' type we are using is using uComponents, which isn't compatible with Umbraco 7 (this is a known issue). 

Has anyone had any success upgrading uComponents to Umbraco 7?  What is the easiest way to get uComponents working with Umbraco7 (hopefully without having to modify all of our existing data)?  

Thanks in advance! 

• Asbjørn 82 posts 195 karma points c-trib
    May 18, 2015 @ 18:52
    Asbjørn

I don't think there's any way around modifying the data, unfortunately (other than reimplementing uComponents as v7 property editors, which would be a huge amount of work).

I have upgraded 4 sites from v6 to v7 and what I did was locate alternates for each property editor (for example the Multiple Content Picker can be replaced by the built-in Umbraco 7 content picker). In this specific case, you might actually be lucky that the data formats are compatible. If they weren't, I went ahead and wrote a little converter that I could call from a custom dashboard. This then converted data to the appropriate format (typically XML to JSON).

Now, there may be a smarter way to do this that I'm not aware of, but for the relatively small sites I migrated, this worked well.

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    May 18, 2015 @ 19:19
    Tom Fulton

Hi Dan,

Yeah, I've been upgrading a bunch of v4/v6 sites with uComponents to v7 without any major issues. As Asbjørn mentioned you'll just need to find replacement Property Editors for each of the uComponents ones you were using, ie replacing the old MNTP with the new built-in one. In some cases you'll also have to modify the data to be compatible with the new editor as well. Phoenix Converters comes in handy for this.

Hope that helps! -Tom

• Ed Knight 16 posts 99 karma points
    May 18, 2015 @ 19:53
    Ed Knight

Hi Dan,

We just upgraded a pretty large site from 6.1.6 to 7.2.4. We had about 90 of those conversion warnings you see. As Asbjørn mentioned you will need some type of programmatic way to update the data using those DataTypes. We wrote scripts using the Umbraco ContentService API. Our site has a tonne of DataTypes and many of those used Ucomponents. Here's a list of the direction we went.

The NuPickers Package is really good alternative in v7 for all those "picker" type editor interactions. Relations are built into each picker now as well which is a bonus.

The other thing that came in super handy and Tom (above) authored this package is Census. You install that on your Version 6 install and then you can look at all your DataTypes in the Developer section and it will show the usage of each DataType. This was critical to be 100% certain you have coverage of converting all data.

Lastly, we only had a small window to run the upgrade on the Prod DB version of the site. So Usync played a crucial role in our final 'real' upgrade. All in all when we brought DB down to a lower environment we could first run Usync which would have all our DataType updates, then run the Scripts to convert Data and at that point a lot of upgrade is done. (there's always outliers that can't be programmed easily - like inline Macros in RTEs that have hyphens - watch out for hyphen conversions in your properties aliases in the upgrade to 7)

We've found that the conversion to v7 from 6 is not a trivial task, but with the tools/packages listed above from this awesome community it's definitely achievable.

Hope this helps, Ed

• Lokesh kumar Chippada 44 posts 249 karma points
    Mar 10, 2016 @ 14:08
    Lokesh kumar Chippada

Hi Ed Knight,

If possible, please share with us some sample scripts to convert ucomponents data to Umbraco 7

Thanks Lokesh

• Ed Knight 16 posts 99 karma points
    Mar 12, 2016 @ 21:56
    Ed Knight

Hi Lokesh,

I have created a gist that contains the code that we used when migrating from 6.1.6 to 7.2.

Gist: MaintenanceServicesAPIController Gist

The way we ran this was during the upgrade, which was done in a lower environment and then pushed up, we would call these APIs via Postman. The Methods return some information about what they did so you can check the nodes etc. It's all a bit manual here and there but it should get you started.

A couple of other points on how we managed to do the upgrade.

• Do it lower environment on backed up databases
    • Use Usync - it was indispensable for us
    • Practice your upgrade, and practice it again :-) - when it comes time to do it for real and cutover it should be a boring, no drama process.

Good Luck!

• Lokesh kumar Chippada 44 posts 249 karma points
    Mar 14, 2016 @ 16:37
    Lokesh kumar Chippada

Hi Ed knight,

Thank you so much for sharing your script and crystal clear instructions :)

• Luke 11 posts 99 karma points
    Sep 06, 2016 @ 13:08
    Luke

Thanks so much, Ed.

We have just taken on a client with a v6 Umbraco install that is 27 GB! Most of that size seems to be in the media folder.

They are having all sorts of issues in the back office with null ref exceptions when clicking on content nodes. This gets fixed when rebuilding the examine index's which makes me think that the size of the content might be what is causing the issues.

They are wanting to upgrade to v7 but use a few uComponents and XSLT heavily. Any advise with such a huge amount of content for someone fairly new to Umbraco? Is it best to tackle the upgrade, or move their data to a new v7 install in your opinion?

Disclaimer: I am a DNN developer making the move to Umbraco.

• Dan 3 posts 24 karma points
    May 20, 2015 @ 05:38
    Dan

@Asbjørn, @Tom and @Ed, thank you all for your replies!  This is definitely a step in the right direction.  Definitely sounds like this isn't a trivial task, and will involve a lot of work to get these data types working properly. 

@Asbjørn, do you have an example of the scripts you used to programmatically convert the uComponent data types to an Umbraco7-compatible format? 

Thanks again, guys! 

• Snehal Thube 21 posts 63 karma points
    Sep 27, 2016 @ 14:57
    Snehal Thube

Hi Ed knight,

For one of our client we are trying to convert umbraco version 6 to 7, but the current version of umbraco using uComponents and when we are trying to migrate the same, receiving lot of errors w.r.t. uComponents data types not supported.

We tried lot's of possibilities from umbraco forums and finally got this link where you have mentioned step by step process of converting version 6 to 7, it would be great if you could help us to understand on what step exactly we should run the custom web service (off course will make changes as per our needs) which you have created which helps to convert uComponent data types to either umbraco 7 supported data types or third party data types using content service API, whether this script to be executed within umbraco 6 solution or umbraco 7 solution, before migration or after migration.

Thanks, Snehal

• Snehal Thube 21 posts 63 karma points
    Oct 10, 2016 @ 09:38
    Snehal Thube

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the detailed steps on how to go about migration in terms of your site is using uComponents.

I am following exactly same steps as mentioned by you.

I even saw your script to convert data values from old data types to new data types.

But even before that there is one more step to change the document type properties data type to convert it from old property type to new property type. Have gone through the content type service which umbraco provides but it is not allowing to change property type editor alias from old to new.

I am interested to know how did you managed to do this OR it was manual task performed?

Thanks in advance.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft