Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• erhan 4 posts 24 karma points
    May 18, 2015 @ 19:34
    erhan

Moving hosting

Hello I have an umbraco web page which I want to move from hosting x to hosting y. Can you please help me to do that?

Kind regards,

Erhan

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    May 18, 2015 @ 19:39
    Dennis Aaen

Hi erhan and welcome to our :-),

I just have a question before I have help you. Are your site using the embedded SQLCE database, or did you use an SQL Server.

Looking forward to hear from you.

/Dennis

• erhan 4 posts 24 karma points
    May 18, 2015 @ 19:43
    erhan

Im not sure.   

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    May 18, 2015 @ 19:59
    Dennis Aaen

Hi erhan,

Okay you can found out if you are using an SQLCE database or a SQL Server if yo have access to the file system of your Umbraco installation. If you be by using an FTP client. If you are using the SQLCE database you will see a file called Umbraco.sdf in the /AppData folder. If you donĀ“t have the Umbraco.sdf file in the AppData folder you are using a SQL server.

For the solution where you are using the SQLCE database, you simply just download all the files, and then upload them by an FTP client to the new server. You just need to stop the site in the IIS before you can download the SQLCE database file, your webserver would have a lock on it.

For the case where you are using the SQL server you I would take the following approach.

First take a backup of your sql server database. After you have taken the backup, then install this backup on the new envioment. Then you need to copy over the Umbraco files to your hosting provider, it could be using FTP.

You could leave out the /AppData/Logs /AppData\TEMP, because it won't give opinion to have logs from your localhost in production. This is this applies to both methods.

The last thing you need if you are using a SQL server is to point the connections string to new database in the web config on your live environment.

Hope this helps and make sense,

/Dennis

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft