Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nick 8 posts 28 karma points
    Jan 18, 2010 @ 14:21
    Nick

Anyone EVER managed to run Umbraco 4 on Godaddy ? - Recommend me other hosts ?

Hi guys,

I'm a student in computer science and I was looking for the best .Net CMS, Umbraco I think is really awesome compared to dotnetnuke I tried before.

I finally finished developping my personal umbraco website on my localhost, and uploaded a fresh umbraco 4.03 to my godaddy root + net 3.5 web config file, setting ROOT and all folders ALL permissions to WRITE+READ and config can still not be written in the install, I read stuff about the Network user but you don't have access to that on godaddy.

So, my questions:

- Has anyone here EVER ran an Umbraco 4 on godaddy, if yes , can you help me ? (I sucessfully ran dotnetnuke on this account before)

- If it is impossible due to permission issues, recommend me the best/cheapest (I'm a student) host. (I read about softsyshosting here, looks good, any others better ?)

Jan 18, 2010 @ 14:55
    Nick

Also, if no one recommends a better host, can someone please confirm that I will be 100% able to run Umbraco 4 on a SoftSys shared hosting Starter Plan ? Godaddy is sort of a mess anyway, I wouldn't mind switching to something else.

• Jamie Howarth 306 posts 773 karma points c-trib
    Jan 18, 2010 @ 15:06
    Jamie Howarth

You can run Umbraco 4.0.3 on GoDaddy shared using this download (Note: unofficial and unsupported, use at own risk, no disclaimers, warranties, claims of fitness for purpose or suitability etc.)

Otherwise you have to switch to using a virtual dedicated or dedicated server as current published Umbraco builds only run in Full Trust.

Best,

Benjamin

• Timsn 121 posts 231 karma points
    Jan 18, 2010 @ 15:06
    Timsn

SoftSys shared hosting Starter Plan definitely works with umbraco 4. You can request full trust per support ticket. No problems with this host.

• Jamie Howarth 306 posts 773 karma points c-trib
    Jan 18, 2010 @ 15:07
    Jamie Howarth

Nice tip, thanks Timsn :-)

Jan 18, 2010 @ 15:30
    Nick

Thank you very much to both of you, I appreciate, I will try the experimetal thing.

I may also switch anyway because godaddy feels too commercial "money money money" to me, and is kinda messy.

What is all this BS with godaddy girls and commercial BS asking you to buy stuff everywhere ? Makes me sick.

Jan 18, 2010 @ 16:33
    Nick

OMFG SoftSy is full of win, I can change Network permissions in the file manager !!! GG

Godaddy can die.

• Dan 1288 posts 3921 karma points c-trib
    Jan 18, 2010 @ 18:52
    Dan

+1 for softsys (based in the US), if you're after a shared provider.  Shame there's no UK equivalent though as the load times are notably longer from across the Atlantic.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft