Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jan 19, 2010 @ 10:34
    Tim

Initial Page Load Very Slow?

Are there any performance issues with having multiple levels of inheritance with page templates? I have a site I've been working on that has some templates that are nested 3 - 5 levels deep. On the initial page load, the site is very, very slow (sometimes more than a minute to load the first page). Once its loaded the first time, its very fast, but the initial page load is quite slow.

I'm running some tests at the moment to see if its the hardware that the dev site is on, or the site itself. Does anyone know of anything that can cause the initial load to be so slow, or do you know of any ways of speeding it up (is it possible to pre-cache the pages for example)?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

:)

• Harm-Jan Abbing 62 posts 102 karma points
    Apr 29, 2010 @ 11:01
    Harm-Jan Abbing

I'm having a similar problem and would also like to know if anyone knows what could be causing this or how to reproduce it.

With me, it appears every time a certain website is not visited for some hours. It can take minutes to load and sometimes causes a server timeout. But once it loads correctly, it works fine the rest of the day.

Deleting umbraco.config, touching web.config or restarting the application pool does not seem to reproduce the error.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Apr 29, 2010 @ 14:14
    Douglas Robar

It sounds as though the website has 'unloaded' because of a lack of activity. As you say, "it appears every time a certain website is not visited for some hours."

This is common IIS behavior to conserve resources on the server. The side effect is that it can take a long time for the application pool to restart. If there are a lot of sites in a common app pool the initial startup time is even worse.

To avoid this problem, get more people to visit your site! :)

Until the masses visit your site regularly, you could increase the inactivity timeout in IIS. I believe it defaults to 20 minutes. Or, use a site monitoring tool to 'ping' a page on your website every 19 minutes (or any value less than your site's inactivity timeout). There are a number of free services that you could use.

cheers,
    doug.

• Harm-Jan Abbing 62 posts 102 karma points
    Apr 29, 2010 @ 16:48
    Harm-Jan Abbing

Thanks Douglas!

That explains why the problem only occurs during development and no longer when the websites go live.

I'll look into increasing the inactivity timeout and the "ping-software" you suggested.

Cheers,
    Harm-Jan

• Piotr Bach 15 posts 129 karma points c-trib
    Feb 12, 2024 @ 07:31
    Piotr Bach

Hi Guys, here is a solution that works in my case https://umbracare.net/blog/warming-up-umbraco-for-peak-performance/

Have a great day!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft