Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kris Janssen 210 posts 569 karma points c-trib
    Jan 22, 2010 @ 21:58
    Kris Janssen

Umbraco @ Nitroserve.nl

Hi guys,

I just tried installing an Umbraco instance @ nitroserve.nl for the domain www.logocare.be.

I am posting here because the install fails at DB setup.

Although the Nitroserve admins claim that all permissions are setup correctly and that I can run in Full Trust mode I still get following error:

Could not save the web.config file. Please modify the connection string manually. Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.

I currently run 4 instances of Umbraco and I never, ever saw this before... it has been driving me up the wall all day long. Nitroserve support can only tell me "it should not be and it is strange" (they have been totally useless so far) and I can of course not do much from my end. What makes it even stranger is that Richard from the forums here seems to be runnng umbraco at Nitroserve as well... apparently without issues.

Does anybody know what migh be causing this? Feel free to have a look (web.config contains the correct DB connection string)... I will be resetting everything anyway once this gets solved (that is, if I don't get fed up and cancel my account...).

Cheers,

Kris

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jan 22, 2010 @ 22:19
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Kris,

May be worth checking whether they have assigned the rights to the right user, which is the owner of the appllication pool you're website is running under?

Apart from that, nothing fancy to tell, unless for a double/triple check on the permissions...

Cheers,

/Dirk

Jan 22, 2010 @ 23:10
    Kris Janssen

I agree... initially they also "forgot" to enable FTP access on my account so I can imagine this will be a similar problem.

But if it takes them more than a day to figure it out (still not working) then it doesn't bode well for the future... I'm seriously considering cancelling the whole account.

Jan 23, 2010 @ 11:44
    Kris Janssen

Just as a follow-up. Nitroserve support now claims the problems are due to the new server my site was supposed to run on. They will now try and siphon everything over to an "old" server running multiple Umbraco instances. I'm starting to think that they don not really have a clue what they are doing so now I don't know what to do... should I cancel my account? But I registered my .be domain with them, the first quarter hosting is payed already... what a mess.

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12898 karma points MVP 2x
    Jan 23, 2010 @ 17:00
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Kris,

sorry to hear about the bad experience with them. I never experienced these kind of issues. Hope they are solved soon.

cheers,

Richard

Jan 24, 2010 @ 22:18
    Kris Janssen

They moved all my stuff over to what they call the "old" server (probably the one your site runs on as well) and now it all works like a charm. Very strange, but at least for now everything seems to run just fine so I'm okay for now :)

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12898 karma points MVP 2x
    Jan 25, 2010 @ 10:01
    Richard Soeteman

Okay probably my sites are running on the same server, Thanks for the warning.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft