Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Roger Withnell 128 posts 613 karma points
    Jun 26, 2015 @ 14:37
    Roger Withnell

Install Umbraco again for each website?

I am planning to migrate my customers' websites to the Umbraco platform. I am using Windows 2008 R2 servers, one for the websites (and another for MSSQL).

Do I have to do a new install of Umbraco for each and every website or can I install it once and then use it for each of my customers' websites?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Roger

• David Brendel 792 posts 2970 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jun 26, 2015 @ 18:46
    David Brendel

Hi Roger,

you can install an instance of Umbraco for each o your websites, but you haven't to. Umbraco can handle multiple websites in one instance.

Here is a video from last years codegarden handling that topic. http://stream.umbraco.org/video/9921509/40-different-high-traffic-sites-from-a

So its definitly possible and shouldn't be problem.

Regards David

Jun 27, 2015 @ 22:08
    Roger Withnell

Thanks for this, David.

My implementation would be simpler because all the websites are unrelated and independent of each other so there would be no sharing of pages or data.

With this in mind, though, can I set up the user permissions so that the content editor of one site would not be able to even see the pages of the other sites?

And how do I make the domain name for each site address the "home" page of the corresponding site in this one instance of Umbraco?

Roger

• David Brendel 792 posts 2970 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jun 28, 2015 @ 09:38
    David Brendel

Hi Roger,

you can set the Entry point of each user in the user settings for content and media section.

If you rights click on your nodes in content tree there is a menu for managing culture and hostname. There you can define for which domain the node is the entry point.

Regards David

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jun 28, 2015 @ 17:00
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Roger,

If they're not related in any way, and the templates won't be similar, I'd definitely recommend separate installs.

It gets increasingly difficult to manage Document Types, Data Types (Property Editors) etc. when you add multiple sites to the mix. And that can quickly take more of your time than a quick install into a fresh site.

That said, it's totally possible to handle all of them in the same install.

/Chriztian

Jun 29, 2015 @ 10:42
    Roger Withnell

Thanks for your information and advice, David and Chriztian.

I realise now that I could share some resources, particular macros, so I'm going to try this out with a three or four websites in the first place.

I guess there will be a few more questions for you!

Thanks again.

Roger

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft