Jun 29, 2015 @ 16:15
    Joe Wholey

Manual Install of Umbraco

I have unzipped the binaries to the following environment

• Windows Server 2008 R2
    • IIS 7
    • SQL 2008 R2
    • Visual Studio 2013

My question is: Where is the install wizard?

I have set up a virtual directory in IIS and then converted it to an application. I have given rights to the main folder and all subfolders to my own domain admin account, I have created an empty database and created a SQL Server authenticated admin account with db ownership role. I have looked for a Setup.exe or other binary to start installing but cannot locate one. Am I missing something?

• Mark Bowser 273 posts 860 karma points c-trib
    Jun 29, 2015 @ 16:52
    Mark Bowser

Do you have the /umbraco and /umbraco_client directories yet? Or did you just install the /bin?

What happens when you try to hit the site in a browser?

My favorite way to install umbraco is via the nuget packages. You could try that as well.

Install-Package UmbracoCms

That should give you all of the files you need to run through the installation wizard in the browser.

• Joe Wholey 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jun 29, 2015 @ 17:22
    Joe Wholey

Yes. I have the /umbraco and /umbraco_client folders.

Jun 29, 2015 @ 17:28
    Joe Wholey

When I try to open the site (application directory) in IE browser I get a 401.2 Unauthorized error.

• Mark Bowser 273 posts 860 karma points c-trib
    Jun 29, 2015 @ 19:56
    Mark Bowser

Are you able to load any of the umbraco backoffice? Try giving IIS_IUSRS access to the folder and subfolders maybe? What user is the App Pool running under?

Does this look relevant at all? http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6346

I haven't tried putting Umbraco in a virtual directory, but I've heard about some issues. It sometimes helps to tweet links to these forum posts to #umbraco.

Jun 29, 2015 @ 20:09
    Joe Wholey

Thanks for the quick response. I am totally new to Umbraco and am simply trying to demo this and other open source cms systems to decide which way forward for developing a company intranet, So I have questions like:

• What is the backoffice?
    • When the other technologies install this package (NuGet, WebMatrix, etc.) what scripts get run to create the db tables and content folders?
    • Should I create a solution in VS2013, and try to run the site there? Or try to create an install solution there?
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft