Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• eneunaber 10 posts 64 karma points
    Jan 27, 2010 @ 20:00
    eneunaber

Which installation document is best for installing on a shared web host?

All:

I've been developing Umbraco locally and now it's time to make the plunge and install Umbraco in a shared hosting environment. Which document would best help me get this going?

-eric

• Scott Hugh Alexandar Petersen 349 posts 164 karma points
    Jan 28, 2010 @ 17:13
    Scott Hugh Alexandar Petersen

The document you write along your path to exploring installing Umbraco onto a shared server.

http://www.nextlevel.dk/ they host it perfectly, have about 20 websites with them. There is only one thing they still do not have SQL 2005 but for now I don't mind because I spoke to them and they told me that it is on it's way.

Regards,

Scott

• Davyne Bradley 2 posts 22 karma points
    Oct 01, 2010 @ 21:08
    Davyne Bradley

hi,

My shared host is IXwebhosting. I found out that the servers (or at least mine) run on IIS6 and .NET 3.5

I found on copeplex, under Other Available Downloads, a web deply version of 4.5.2 for .net 3.5

http://umbraco.codeplex.com/releases/view/51165#ReviewsAnchor

After failing to install 4.5.2 for .NET 4.0, I contacted IX. (which is when I asked what version of IIS and .NET were avaialble)

Here's some of what I had done prior in the Control Panel:

Set up the MSSQL database as seen in many tutorials.

I licked on the edit button for ASP  - there I could change the frameword version. After choosing 2.x, then 3.5 came up.

I also went in and changed the web directory settings for the domain to allow scripts & executables, with both read & write access. (I'm not sure if I opened this up too much - I'm not a security person) - you coudl try it without openign it up first.

THe IXwebhosting support person told me he set up my umbraco directory as a "virtual application folder" (I'm not sure what he had to do, or what that means, but it worked)

once I then deleted the Umbraco .NET 4.0 version files/folders, and uploaded the file/folders for .NET 3.5, the installation ran without error.

Now to incorporate my 100+ page static site into this system to make it manageble!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft