Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• MRB 3 posts 23 karma points
    Jan 28, 2010 @ 19:19
    MRB

Expected database size (and growth) for an installation

Hi,

I'm just looking at possibly using Umbraco and wondered if someone could please tell me how large I can expect the database to grow.

I realise that this is (wildly!) dependent upon number of different factors, however if users can perhaps give examples of how large their own DB has grown and the number of pages on the site, that would be very helpful.

The reason I'm asking is that most hosts offer a fixed size of database with their hosting packages (and can charge a LOT if its exceeded) and I'd just like to ensure that the database will not quickly get out of control.

I have used another .Net CMS for a site with around 100 pages (very small content per page) and it's database has already reached around 300MB! Other sites I have created (different platform again) manage to run quite happily on well under 50MB.

So I'd be very interested if anyone can offer any of their own experience on this for Umbraco, before I commit to it (downloaded and installed locally and so far looks great!) :)

Many thanks for any help,

Mark

• Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Jan 28, 2010 @ 19:28
    Laurence Gillian

Most Umbraco installs we have run at around 50MB.

Our biggest database is 330MB, and that has over 40,000 nodes. I'm just about to open it up to see how the database size can be reduced, as I imagine there will be quite a lot of log data and document revision information.

I'll let you know what I find out. I think Hendy did a really good post on the Umbraco Database stuff last year, well worth checking out.

/Laurie

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 28, 2010 @ 19:55
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I have the same experience as Lau, tiny DB size generally. The largest site we are currently running is 300 MB, with 20000 pages and quite a lot of properties on each page.

And I am also going to do some cleaning up soon, I especially need to shrink logtables as I created a LOT(!) of custom logging messages for debugging purposes. The extra logging is being removed right now and I can clean up all that stuff.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Jan 28, 2010 @ 21:00
    Douglas Robar

On a multi-lingual site with 8 languages and 10,000 nodes I got to about 275 MB. But by pruning the umbracoLog table and using the ClientTools 4 Umbraco to get rid of excess old versions of pages I was back down below 200MB.

Versions of pages (as happens with automed imports and re-imports and other tasks common with developing a site) and the umbracoLog table tend to be the culprits when databases get large. I prune the old versions and log table before making a site live for the first time.

You can also look in the /config/umbracosettings.config file for options about which events get logged to the umbracoLog table.

cheers,
    doug.

• MRB 3 posts 23 karma points
    Jan 28, 2010 @ 22:45
    MRB

Thanks for all the replies - very helpful, I really appreciate you all taking the time :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Eric Schrepel 161 posts 226 karma points
    Feb 07, 2017 @ 01:16
    Eric Schrepel

It's been years since this topic, but we're curious now also.

Had started on a 6.x site which has been updated over the years to its current 7.5.8. Running fine, but our SQL server db is 7 GB (at least that's the size of the .bak file each night), and we truncate the log table and do the Shrink File tasks occasionally.

Wondering if that seems normal, or if there's something amiss.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft