Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris 69 posts 75 karma points
    Jan 28, 2010 @ 23:02
    Chris

Admin login not working after server migration

Hi everyone,

This problem is cracking my head since days.

I recently migrated a fully working Umbraco 4.0.3 website from my testserver to a production server. The migration went smooth and the site is running, but when i try to login to the admin section, nothing happens.

I'm sure i have 3 working users. (I can still log in with them on my testserver, so I'm sure about the passwords).

Based on some other forum posts, i tried the following already:

- Changing the password manually in the DB

- Removing the version number from umbracoConfigurationStatus in the web.config and following the install wizard. It says that permissions are perfect. Only at the last step, it says that the web.config cannot be updated. So i updated it myself with the right version number.

- Checking on possible javascript errors while logging in.

Is there anything else that I can try? Any help would be really appreciated.

TIA

Chris

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Jan 28, 2010 @ 23:46
    Dan

Sounds like a password format issue.  Basically things to check are whether your passwords are being held in plain text in the database or whether they're hashed, then check whether your web.config file contains passwordFormat="Hashed" in the membership settings.  If the passwords in the database are hashed then you'll need to include passwordFormat="Hashed" in your membership settings, if not, passwordFormat="Hashed" can be removed from your web.config.

I know it's been dealt with before here but I can't find any specific posts.

Hope this helps...

Jan 29, 2010 @ 09:13
    Chris

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the tip. I will check this first thing when i get home.

I know that passwords are hashed in the DB and that the web.config was configured for this on my testserver.

But... during migration to production, i did an upgrade to .NET 3.5 which means that i replaced the web.config with the one available on codeplex. I see now that this one doesnt contain the passwordFormat="Hashed" attribute... So this might be my solution... I'll keep you up to date.

TIA

Chris

• manwood 87 posts 109 karma points
    Jan 29, 2010 @ 10:32
    manwood

chris - ive got the same issue, can you let us know if you solve it?

thanks

Jan 29, 2010 @ 10:41
    Chris

I certainly will... I won't sleep tonight before i solve this! :)

Jan 29, 2010 @ 17:50
    Chris

Dan, i owe you a beer!

I added the passwordFormat="Hashed" attribute to my web.config and i can log in again!

Thanks for the time saver!

Chris

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Jan 29, 2010 @ 17:59
    Dan

Great, glad it worked.  That setting should be applied to the web.config asp.net 3.5 download on codeplex IMO as it's caught a few people out (myself included).  Maybe if one of the core team are reading...

Feb 01, 2010 @ 16:37
    Chris

I totally agree, the 3.5 web.config supplied at codeplex should be an exact copy of the one shipped with umbraco. (Only adding the 3.5 settings.)

Thanks again,

Chris

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft