Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mike Wright 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 02, 2010 @ 21:52
    Mike Wright

Non-standard HTTP Ports?

I'm planning an Umbraco installation to support multiple sites on my main IIS boxes and I have a question.  (Well, hundreds really, but this one is at the top of the queue...)

The plan now is to configure a single web site in IIS for the Umbraco installation, alongside several already existing sites, on our two load balanced production servers.  The other sites will have specific hosts defined in IIS, and Umbraco will be configured to accept 'All unassigned', so that umbraco can handle the routing among its individual sites.  In order for this all to work, I'm being told by my server admins, the Umbraco site will need to be configured on a non-standard http port. 

So, requests for www.whatever.com hit the load balancer, the load balancer then routes that traffic to whichever load balanced server is next but on a non-standard port, say whateverserver:1234.  Umbraco handles the request and fires the content back out.  At least, that's what I'm hoping will happen.  Has anybody out there done something like this?  I guess the real question is: Will Umbraco have a problem answering/handling requests on a non-standard port?

Please let me know if you need more information to answer the question - I'll provide whatever I can.

Thanks in advance!

• Chau 66 posts 97 karma points
    Feb 03, 2010 @ 00:00
    Chau

I'm not sure if this relates but I'm running a live website such as www.website.com:88 and it works just fine.

• Seth Niemuth 275 posts 397 karma points
    Feb 03, 2010 @ 16:04
    Seth Niemuth

Yeah, I have run umbraco on non standard ports all the time (mostly for testing purposes) and never encountered a problem with it.

• dimi309 245 posts 579 karma points
    Feb 04, 2010 @ 21:01
    dimi309

No problem for me either. By the way, I don't know if this is of interest but I have a backoffice node running on a standard port with a resolution of the host name through the windows hosts file and it is also ok.

• Mike Wright 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 04, 2010 @ 21:35
    Mike Wright

Awesome - that's what I was hoping to hear...

thanks so much for the replies!

• Flavio Spezi 129 posts 315 karma points
    Jul 29, 2011 @ 19:20
    Flavio Spezi

I just found a bug.

I have configured a website with this host:

myserver:8001

So I have configured Umbraco with control panel to work to this host.

When I browse the site, it work fine.
    But when I try to open a masterpage with

http://myserver:8001/mymasterpage

I receive this error:

Page not found

No umbraco document matches the url 
    'http://myserver:8012/mymasterpage'
    umbraco tried this to match it using this xpath query'/root/* [@urlName = 
    "mymasterpage"] | /root/*/* [@urlName = "mymasterpage"]')
    This page can be replaced with a custom 404 page by adding the id of the 
    umbraco document to show as 404 page in the /config/umbracoSettings.config file. 
    Just add the id to the '/settings/content/errors/error404' element.
    For more information, visit information about custom 404 on 
    the umbraco website.

I solved this issue configuring Umbraco to work to hostname  "myserver" instead of "myserver:8001".

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft