Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brad 94 posts 151 karma points
    Feb 04, 2010 @ 03:30
    Brad

Problem running Umbraco 4 admin after deployment

Hello

I have just moved my development of a clients site to a live server. The server is a shared one and after following the excellent instruction on this page....

installing-v400-on-a-plesk-shared-host

I was able to get the site running.

So far so good.

However, I cannot log into Umbraco

I enter 'admin' and my password and nothing happens. I am returned to the login page,. No error, nothing.

So I tried resetting my password to 'default' in the umbracoUser table using a hash I found in the thread about thsi very problem on the old forum site.

The fact that the site is working, suggests that the db connection is working. So that's not the problem.

The lack of validation on the login page to catch this error sheds no light on the problem.

Anyone got any suggestion? What can I try?

Feb 04, 2010 @ 03:31
    Brad

I should add (this site needs an Edit option)  I delpoyed the site by FTPing up the root folder of the site and everything in it, and backing up my database and restoring it on the live server.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Feb 04, 2010 @ 09:38
    Sebastiaan Janssen

In the web.config, check if the UmbracoMembershipProvider / UsersMembershipProvider are using a hashed password. If so, remove the attribute:

passwordFormat="Hashed"

If not, add the attribute.

Presumably your site was set up with or without hashing and the new web.config has a different password format.

Feb 04, 2010 @ 11:30
    Brad

What 'new' web.config? This is the same web.config I used on Dev. Just the the database connection stuff and some SMTP values added.

The Hashed value is set in there and I can see that the password values in umbracoUser are hashed.

As test I set the value to Clear and pasted in the actual hash value from the db as the password. Same result. The page posts back itself and nothing happens.

As the next text I replaced the hashed password with the password 'test' and removed the passwordFormat="Clear" from the web.config all together.

This did not work either.

Feb 04, 2010 @ 11:35
    Brad

I might have found something.

As another test I ran this file /umbraco/umbraco.aspx

And I got this error.

Server cannot access application directory 'C:\Inetpub\vhosts\'. The directory does not exist or is not accessible because of security settings.

Ok, this is looking like some permissions thing. But WHY is umbraco looking at the folder it one level above the root folder of the site? All of the sites on this server are in that folder?  Should I be concerned that Umbraco pokes around OUTSIDE of it's own sandbox?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Feb 04, 2010 @ 12:29
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Sorry, I was mixing you up with someone else, but good to hear that you've checked the password settings! :)

I don't know what is happening, but I suppose .net does look for permissions on C:\ first, then on C:\Inetpub, and so on, so it might be a permission error higher up than your Umbraco install. I'd suggest you contact your hosting provider.

Feb 04, 2010 @ 13:48
    Brad

Before I did that I'd like to know why Umbraco is even looking there for any sort of anything.. It should not even be reading what is out there.

Can you imagine asking the hosting provider..."I've installed this open sourse CMS. It really good, but it will not let me login as it has no access to your C: drive or the folder where you host all your sites! Can you grant these permissions to the .NET user account?"

That cannot be the solution.

Feb 05, 2010 @ 14:50
    Brad

Good news.. The problem is solved.

The solution is that Umbraco cannot run from the Plesk site preview URL. It needs a real URL.

So when the URL went from this

http://XX.XX.XX.XXX/$sitepreview/beta.site.com/

To http://www.site.com

It worked.

Simple really.. Nothing a bit of validation might have shed some light on. This little joy cost me 2 days of pay.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft