Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt Taylor 873 posts 2086 karma points
    Aug 24, 2015 @ 13:06
    Matt Taylor

Azure hosting and SQL Server CE

I'm developing a small single page site for a client and I was planning to use SQL Server CE for the database.

The client says they'll be hosting the site using Azure and I just wanted to check there were no known issues as I've neither deployed using SQL Server CE or Azure before.

This post claims that SQL Server CE and Azure are both compatible and incompatible so what do you guys say?

Kind regards,

Matt

• Jason 122 posts 637 karma points
    Aug 24, 2015 @ 13:24
    Jason

Matt, I have used CE in Azure Websites but only for demos and quick test stuff with no scaling. I think Microsoft is sort of phasing CE out, but it seems to be a half heart attempt to do that.

If you're not using a VM I would suggest NOT using CE for the site. If you use Azure web sites with scaling you could have issue with the CE DB file being accessed by multiple instance of Umbraco. Azure SQL as a Service is not very expensive for a small DB so I would just us that and it scales if needed.

Also you will need to set/create the umbracoContentXMLUseLocalTemp App Setting in the web.config to true.

https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/getting-started/setup/server-setup/load-balancing

• Matt Taylor 873 posts 2086 karma points
    Aug 24, 2015 @ 13:43
    Matt Taylor

Thank you Jason!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft