Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ingo 2 posts 72 karma points
    Aug 26, 2015 @ 10:50
    Ingo

Help- Upgrade from 4.7.1.1 to 7.2.8

Hello guys, we need to upgrade our age-old website from 4.7.1.1 to the latest Umbraco version ... and as you may guess, it's a bit of a challenge ;)

Environment: Windows Server 2008, IIS 7, ASP 4, SQL Server 2008.

One general question upfront

Our site is pretty basic (and will be restructured soon) and we have only two packages installed uComponents 3.0.2 and XSLTsearch 3.0.4: Would it be less hassle to simply remove 4.7 and install 7.2 from scratch and migrate the content? Is there a proper content Export/Import method?

Upgrade

If that's not an option, in this post here the following upgrade path is advised: 4.7.1 » 4.7.2 » 4.8.1 » 4.9.0 » 4.11.1 » 4.11.3.1 » 6.0.0 » 7.1.2 » 7.2

NuGet method

Can I use the NuGet method Update-Package UmbracoCms to do these stepwise upgrades or does this only upgrade to the latest version?

What I've done:

• File > New > Web Site and pointed it to C:\inetpub\www.mysite.com\htdocs (Selected "Open the existing Website" in the next dialogue)
    • Opened the PM console and ran Update-Package UmbracoCms
    • Hit "Build"

I've tried this in a test environment and it jumped right to end and I am getting all kinds or errors (folder permissions, Build errors etc ... I can provide more info if you thingk this should have worked, but I suppose it was a dumb idea to begin with and not worth pursuing further).

Manual method

I was also trying the manual method as described here https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/getting-started/setup/upgrading/version-specific and in the blog post linked above

Problem is: I cannot even download anything prior to 4.11.8 anymore on https://our.umbraco.org/contribute/releases/ !!

In other words -- I am really stuck and have no idea how to get from 4.7.1 to 7!! I would really appreaciate some help from the great community here.

Many thanks, Ingo (a somewhat-Umbraco newbie being thrown into the water)

• MrFlo 159 posts 403 karma points
    Aug 26, 2015 @ 12:32
    MrFlo

Hello Ingo,

I have the same problem but I want to change all the structure of pages but keep the previous urls for SEO purpose. My plan is start with a new version from scratch and then export all the pages and import them in the new version using CSV and the plugin CMSimport and Import media To keep the previous url name, I will import the previous url and add a field in the csv with the previous name and import them into a new field using umbracoUrlName.

There is also a way to export all document types and re-import them.

Let us know the method chosen.

• Ingo 2 posts 72 karma points
    Aug 26, 2015 @ 12:56
    Ingo

Hi,

knowing that I also need to upgrade uComponents to the latest if I wish to go to 7.x, how would I best do an export/import?

Would this be the correct way?

1. do backups of database and root folder
    2. Create a local package, and in Package Content select all checkboxes. (ie. Content, Document Types, Templates, Stylesheets, Macros, Languages, Dictionary Items, Datatypes)
    3. Delete umbraco folder and database
    4. Install Umbraco 7.2.8 using the normal guide
    5. Install uComponents 6 package
    6. Import my local package from step2

Does that bring back all my content and configs? And do I need to carry this out as user Administrator and are there any pitfalls with security/permissions/IIS settings/or what not?

Never really done anything like it or worked with Umbraco a whole lot, so I'm sorry for asking this kind of basic stuff...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft