Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• BJ Patel 80 posts 206 karma points
    Sep 01, 2015 @ 11:44
    BJ Patel

what is the difference Nuget Package and and direct umbraco download

case 1)

let say I have a build zip of umbraco 7.2.8 download from umbraco official site, and open this as website in Visual studio

case 2)

I create a simple website and Install Nuget Package "UmbrcoCMS" in Visual studio.

I am not clear that , what is the basic difference between both of the above cases?

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP ∞ admin hq c-trib
    Sep 01, 2015 @ 11:49
    Warren Buckley

Hello BJ Patel,
    Nuget is a Microsoft package manager. Similar to GEMS for Ruby, NPM for NodeJS & so on.

I believe using NuGet is the recommended approach to installing Umbraco, as this allows for updates to your website/project to be achieved easier by simply doing a NuGet package update for the Umbraco.Cms package.

Where by installing the zip you would need to manually update between versions, which can be a time consuming task at times.

In addition using Nuget in team projects with source control repositories allows you to not have the need to check in the files that make up the Umbraco CMS into your repository. As whenever the next team member clones the repo down & opens the solution. They will be prompted that the Umbraco.CMS Nuget package is missing & will automatically install for them.

I hope this gives you a brief insight into the two differences, but if you want to investigate more I recommend you research more into NuGet.

Many Thanks,
    Warren :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft