Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• luka 3 posts 84 karma points
    Sep 01, 2015 @ 12:15
    luka

Learning Umbraco as a Sitecore developer, what are the transferable concepts ?

I'll be working with Umbraco soon and want to get up to speed as fast as possible. Coming from Sitecore world has it's advantages (or so I've understood). I'm sure lot of people were in my shoes and curious if there is any blog post on the subject?

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Sep 01, 2015 @ 12:23
    Dennis Aaen

Hi luka and welcome to Our,

I would recommend you to take a look at the www.umbraco.tv, here you will find some video toturials that shows the basic concepts working with Umbraco.

Some of these videos are free to watch, and some requires that you subscribe to Umbraco TV. You can see the different plans here: https://umbraco.tv/plans-signup/

But try to see these chapters:

https://umbraco.tv/videos/umbraco-v7/implementor/

Then you should get a good idea about how Umbraco works.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Sep 01, 2015 @ 14:32
    luka

Great, thanks Dennis

• Gary Devenay 39 posts 245 karma points
    Sep 01, 2015 @ 15:04
    Gary Devenay

Hi Luka,

Being an Umbraco developer who has also worked with Sitecore in the past there are a few things comparable between the two such as (and probably more than):

• DocumentTypes in Umbraco follow the same concept as Sitecore templates. They are you data definitions for each page.
    • Macros in Umbraco are quite similar to your Sitecore renderings. They will be the small partials that you would like to use in multiple locations.
    • Multilingual localisation works much the same in both, but there are a few Umbraco plugins (such as Vorto) which will make your life easier in Umbraco.
    • Umbraco Forms is our version of WFFM to allow you to create forms via the backoffice
    • There isn't much in the way of DMS or ECM in Umbraco (to my knowledge)

I think overall you'll find that the documentation and general availability of information on Umbraco exceeds Sitecore by far, and would also recommend checking out the Umbraco repository on GitHub if you are stuck when debugging, as it's always useful to see what the code you are writing is doing behind the scenes!

Sep 02, 2015 @ 03:16
    luka

Thanks a lot Gary, that's what I was looking for.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft