Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Charlie Marshall 10 posts 110 karma points
    Sep 09, 2015 @ 14:33
    Charlie Marshall

Upgrade Umbraco Version

Hi all,

I have added a $broadcast to a controller in umbraco.controller.js and was wondering about upgrading Umbraco in the future.

If I upgrade, I heard that the umbraco.css file will be overwritten by the newer .css file so I was wondering will this also be the case for this file? If I make more additions to this file will they eventually get overwritten?

It's not too bad at the end of the day if they do as we use source control so I will be able to go back through the history of the solution and find the lines of code that I added but it would save a lot of headaches if they didn't get overwritten.

Cheers

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Sep 09, 2015 @ 14:41
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Yes, all files in the umbraco and umbraco_client folder will be overwritten. We strongly encourage you not to modify these files to prevent these problems in the future.

Whenever you feel the urge to modify our files you should ask yourself:

• why am I doing this?
    • is there a way I can achieve what I want with my own custom code?
    • should I ask Umbraco to add this change to the core so I can upgrade in the future?
    Sep 09, 2015 @ 14:45
    Charlie Marshall

Ok, thanks for the heads up.

Basically what I have is the SpectrumColorPicker label being updated when you select a colour from the Umbraco ColorPicker.

I stuck a $broadcast inside the ColorPickerController function so that when you click on an approved colour, the hex value that displays is the hex value from the ColorPicker.

Not sure if this is the best way to do it or not but it's working for the moment.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Sep 09, 2015 @ 14:50
    Sebastiaan Janssen

To be honest, I am very unfamiliar with that part of the code, so it would be GREAT if you could create either a feature request or a bug report and include your fix so we can evaluate: http://issues.umbraco.org

Sep 09, 2015 @ 15:00
    Charlie Marshall

Ok, I've created an issue at the site you've posted.

For anyone else that would like to see anything to do with this the issue can be found here

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft