Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Phillip Turner 98 posts 412 karma points
    Oct 02, 2015 @ 16:41
    Phillip Turner

System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid

I just upgraded from 7.2.x to 7.3 on my developer version.

Site built fine and the home page run just fine. However, whenever I go to any other page I get the following error:

"Specified Cast Is Invalid" [InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.] System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBuffer.getInt32() +52 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.GetInt32(Int32 i) +62 petapocofactory_11(IDataReader ) +189

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.] System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor) +0 System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments) +92 System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args) +117 Umbraco.Core.Persistence.MultiPocoFactory.CallDelegate(Int32 index, IDataReader reader) +80 Umbraco.Core.Persistence.MultiPocoFactory.CallCallback(Delegate callback, IDataReader dr, Int32 count) +65 Umbraco.Core.Persistence.<>cDisplayClass1a1.<CreateMultiPocoFactory>b__19(IDataReader reader, Delegate arg3) +67 Umbraco.Core.Persistence.<Query>d__1c1.MoveNext() +367 System.Collections.Generic.List1..ctor(IEnumerable1 collection) +387 System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList(IEnumerable1 source) +58 Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Database.Fetch(Sql sql) +117 Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.TemplateRepository.PerformGetAll(Int32[] ids) +462 Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.RepositoryBase2.GetAll(TId[] ids) +1548 Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.TemplateRepository.PerformGet(Int32 id) +41 Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.RepositoryBase`2.Get(TId id) +84 Umbraco.Core.Services.FileService.GetTemplate(Int32 id) +63 Umbraco.Web.Routing.PublishedContentRequestEngine.FindTemplate() +986 Umbraco.Web.Routing.PublishedContentRequestEngine.FindPublishedContentAndTemplate() +234 Umbraco.Web.Routing.PublishedContentRequestEngine.PrepareRequest() +96 Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule.ProcessRequest(HttpContextBase httpContext) +358 Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule.a(Object sender, EventArgs e) +80 System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +141 System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +69

So I looked at the backoffice section and my tree is fine, but when I click on a node, the document types do not load, but the tabs do.

When I click on the properties tab, the ID for the page looks like this:

1102<br/><small class='muted'>bf3f3c05-1f02-494c-8d77-6a068bf731a3</small>

Any ideas? The whole site is trashed.

Thanks

Phillip

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Oct 03, 2015 @ 10:30
    Dan

I'm having the exact same issue.

• Robin Nicholl 137 posts 277 karma points
    Oct 05, 2015 @ 16:54
    Robin Nicholl

Me too (the id thing). I thought 7.3 was a stable releaseā€¦

It's already taken me days to upgrade. After many, many attempts to upgrade to 7.2.4 or 7.2.8 from 7.1.4 failed I eventually tried going straight from 7.1.4 to 7.3: it worked, but there are loads of annoying problems including bits of razor I've had to rewrite, and now this.

I don't suppose the misplaced string has any effect, as it's just a read-only 'field', but it's annoying nonetheless and makes me wonder what else might be going wrong behind the scenes.

Annoying because we've had a very stable 7.1.4 installation running with no problems for nearly a year. I am compelled to upgrade now at the client's request, but am concerned that we might have problems down the line.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 07, 2015 @ 13:36
    Sebastiaan Janssen

The Id thing is because you're looking at outdated cache. This is either in your browser but more likely solved by changing the version number in ClientDependency.config (just make it one higher or lower than the version it currently has). This is done automatically by the upgrade installer but might have gotten discarded at some point.

We improve the upgrade process for each release based on feedback so if it doesn't work then it helps to report errors so we can look at it, which is why 7.3.0 was a better upgrade experience for you than 7.2.4 was.

Oct 05, 2015 @ 17:00
    Phillip Turner

After many attempts at what I thought would be an easy upgrade, I just restored both my DB and source code back to v7.2.4.

I wonder why this upgrade process is so painful. This by far this Umbraco's weakest point. I have not had a successful upgrade to date.

• Robin Nicholl 137 posts 277 karma points
    Oct 05, 2015 @ 17:08
    Robin Nicholl

Think I'm going to have to abandon upgrading at all, which will be awkward to explain to my client. I've just noticed that the examine search function has stopped working too. Back to 7.1.4

How come it's so easy to upgrade in something like Wordpress, and so painful in Umbraco? I've been championing Umbraco for a few years now, but it's becoming difficult to convince both colleagues and clients that it's worth the effort.

Oct 07, 2015 @ 13:42
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Phillip / Dan any luck finishing the upgrade? I'm happy to receive a zipped site + database (dropbox / wetransfer link) so I can investigate as I've not seen that error before.

I wonder why this upgrade process is so painful.

Please do note that this is a huge new release of Umbraco, with some breaking changes (as listed in the release notes). The upgrade process has our constant focus and is hugely easier if you're using NuGet so that we can easily apply all necessary changes automatically for you in config files and you don't have to worry about checking everything all the time.

Anyway, as I said, would be happy to look at sites + dbs that failed to upgrade so we can either improve the experience or point out problems.

Oct 07, 2015 @ 14:20
    Phillip Turner

Hi Sebastiaan.

I was in a time crunch so I reverted back to 7.2.4 and started on the second site in that Umbraco Instance. Once that is complete and pushed into production, I will go back and try the upgrade again.

Thanks for your response. Probably be another week or so.

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Oct 07, 2015 @ 14:14
    Dan

Hey Seb,

Thanks for responding to this. The project I upgraded was a really unimportant personal project - I was just going to have a play with 7.3 out of curiosity. I've not had any time to dig any further, either in terms of trying to resolve it myself (I deleted the temp files but that's pretty much all I tried) or even look for clues as to what the problem might have been. No time even to report it as an issue, sadly, which I know is the only way you guys stand any chance of replicating/fixing things. Sooooo little time at the moment :(

When I get a free weekend I'll have another look and see if bumping the client-dependency works, otherwise I'll certainly send over a copy of the site to you and try to do what I can to help pin it down.

Thanks again.

Dan

• Shada 55 posts 137 karma points
    Oct 30, 2015 @ 13:02
    Shada

same issue after update to 7.3.1 from 7.2.8

Oct 30, 2015 @ 13:28
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@Shada I might not have been clear: we can't help if we can't reproduce the problem. Just adding "me too" doesn't help with that..

Anyway, as I said, would be happy to look at sites + dbs that failed to upgrade so we can either improve the experience or point out problems.

• Greg Berlin 818 posts 634 karma points
    Nov 11, 2015 @ 01:08
    Greg Berlin

I tried to upgrade to 7.3 and it totally destroyed my site... I've had to rollback the database and the file system for now as I don't have time to deal with it.

The error I got was about the Home Route being duplicated or something along those lines... if anybody knows about this one and has a solution, I might try do the upgrade again and see if I can fix it... but for now I've been forced to put this upgrade on hold.

I got the dependency issue after rolling back the DB... thanks @Sebastiaan for that solution - happy to have a working site again. :)

ps: I like the new upgrade process, but it did overwrite a few of my configs... I think that process could be improved a bit. But definitely a step in the right direction

• Joss 10 posts 73 karma points
    Dec 11, 2015 @ 14:56
    Joss

Had the same issue. My IDs came out in the backoffice like 13893
    df742f6f-616c-41f3-b85e-c88362d1504a

As someone earlier in the thread said, clearing the browser cache did the trick.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft