Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• manwood 87 posts 109 karma points
    Feb 14, 2010 @ 15:46
    manwood

Migrating Umbraco from test to live server?

I have a local Umbraco setup which is my dev environment. How do you suggest I go about migrating the various changes I make in my dev system to a live server? I'm not sure this works..

thanks for any advice.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Feb 14, 2010 @ 16:22
    Douglas Robar

The simple way to move a new site from dev to live is to zip the website files and backup the database; copy to live server; unzip files and restore database.

If you've continued developing alongside the live site you can use umbraco Courier to automatically migrate content and media if you've much of that to do, but css, js, templates, and macros have to be done by hand. Depending on what you have to move it may be convenient to make a package of the affected files on the dev site and 'install' the package on the live site.

cheers,
    doug.

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Feb 14, 2010 @ 17:04
    Kim Andersen

Almost every time I move a site from a dev-environment to a test-/live-environment, I first of all, zips all of my files. Then I detaches the database. Copy the files to the new server, and attaches the database to the new database-server.

But sometimes when a site goes to a live-environment, I still need to keep on developing on the site, and this means new changes. Those "minor" changes will be added by the help of packages.

Actually all I am trying to say, is that I totally agree with Doug :)

Have a nice day everyone...

/Kim A

• Debbie Lawrenson 55 posts 75 karma points
    Jun 11, 2013 @ 11:38
    Debbie Lawrenson

Hi all, esp Doug! It's Debbie here from your training class in London. I thought it was brill BTW.

I'm having exactly the same issue here. We have adopted an umbraco site from another supplier and I have the zipped files and the backup DB. So assuming that we get the site live on our hosting server (3rd party) and their current domain is transfered etc. I have quite a lot of extending to do on the site and new pages etc. Do I need to do this work on a local set of files and DB and then somehow copy them onto the live server? How will the client see the dev work if it's al on my local machine?

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Deb

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft