Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• karin 3 posts 23 karma points
    Feb 14, 2010 @ 23:07
    karin

Newbie – need some help to get on track

Hi,

I am complete newbie to just about everything that has to do with CMS and Umbraco (apart from quite good knowledge of HTML, CCS and some basic classic ASP). But I just got thrilled getting myself updated.

So I have been reading the “Complete Newbie's Guide To Umbraco”, seen a bunch of the very helpful instruction films and spent hours and hours today reading this forum and all installation- and get started information I could find.

However, there are some fundamental things I do not get. I apologize if these questions might be very obvious or completely misunderstood :)

- Firstly, it seems like all installation guides and instructions focus on installing the system locally. But I find hardly any information on installation or publishing to my web hosting account. I guess I’ll have to do more than just upload the resulting “project files”? I do not really see the work flow process….

- Also, is it always the case that you start by developing the site locally before publishing, or can I get started at the web host right away?

- I am on a very tight budget but found a host providing MySQL for a (suspiciously) low cost. I assume that I have to install a MySQL database locally as well – or can I appoint my hosted one also when working on my pc?

Greatful for any help I can get.

// Karin

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Feb 14, 2010 @ 23:51
    Paul Blair

Hi Karin,

It is usually best to do most of the development work locally first - especially if you are new to Umbraco. You should also install MySQL locally (or use SQL Express which is also free). Once you have it working locally the process for moving to a web host is:

- set up a website on your host

- set up the DB on your host

- backup your local MySQL DB and copy to the host MySQL DB

- copy your system files accross to the website directory on your host

- update the web.config so umbracoDbDSN is pointing at the MySQL DB on your host

- make sure you have set write permissions to the neccessary folders on your host ( <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> bin, config, css, data, masterpages, media, umbraco, usercontrols, xslt folders and web.config file)

That should be about all for starters.

Cheers

Paul

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Feb 14, 2010 @ 23:54
    Paul Blair

the paragraph that has been formatted crazily should read:

- make sure you have set write permissions to the neccessary folders on your host (bin, config, css, data, masterpages, media, umbraco, usercontrols, xslt folders and web.config file)

• Lior Abitbol 2 posts 23 karma points
    Feb 15, 2010 @ 00:05
    Lior Abitbol

You should find out if your hosting provider allows ASP.NET applications to run in medium trust. Current release of Umbraco requires full trust and some shared hosting environments do not allow that.

There is a version that seems to work in a medium trust environment, but it is experimental. You can find it at http://our.umbraco.org/projects/umbraco-403-medium-trust

Feb 15, 2010 @ 09:48
    karin

Great, thank you!

That was exactly the information I needed. I was totally sure that I missed some step, but it seem like I have the picture now.

I have found that there have been successful Umbraco users using my web host (web10.se). But I will check with the support to be sure nothing has changed since then. Thank you for that heads up.

Just want to get home from work now, and the day has just about started : )

//Karin

Feb 15, 2010 @ 13:02
    karin

Just got answer from the host - they run full trust. Thought it might be useful information for future forum explorers :)

• John 9 posts 29 karma points
    Feb 16, 2010 @ 09:59
    John

Thank you for bringing this up Karin! I've also been wondering if I could use Umbraco on my site (also hosted at web10.se). Cool! I've just recently started using Umbraco at work. But it would be great to be able to use it for my own site as well.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft