Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anne 2 posts 72 karma points
    Oct 16, 2015 @ 13:54
    Anne

Load balancing and back-office server

Hi,

We're using Umbraco version 6.2.5 and want to move the back-office server. In order for it to fit neatly into our infrastructure we'd like to put it behind a Windows NLB, but we've seen https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/getting-started/setup/server-setup/load-balancing/traditional which states "Umbraco will not work if the back-office is behind the load balancer". What would be useful for us would be if we could use a Windows NLB ip address, but there would only be one server in that cluster. The reason for this is that if we had to do some work on that server then we could very quickly change the NLB to point to a second server, and this fits with the way we do some other releases and infrastructure changes.

I recognise that on switch over we'd need to flush the cache, and there might be a short downtime for people on the back-office server, but can anyone tell me if they think this would work, or if they know of any issue with it?

Otherwise, how do other people manage this in a production environment, do you just have one back-office server and require maintenance periods?

I'm new to Umbraco and not a networking guru, so please accept my apologies for any fault in terminology!

Many thanks, Anne

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft