Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Thomas Teilmann 2 posts 82 karma points
    Oct 16, 2015 @ 22:47
    Thomas Teilmann

Umbraco installation wizard Error - Could not connect to database

I'm trying to install Umbraco on an ASP.NET environment. After I downloaded the umbraco nuget package I tried to run the installation wizard, by building and running the project. All is fine and good, if i take the default database configuration, but if I want to customize my configuration, it fails and says :

"Could not connect to database"

I'm trying to configure it to use my local SQLExpress database, but I just cannot get it working. I have both tried putting in the server information and connecting via. a connection string, via. the wizard. It produces the same error every time.

I have made a database called umbracoblog and created an admin user, with credentials. He has dbowner etc. for the database. Besides that, I have also given full permissions to IIS_IUSRS and Network Service accounts for the project and all subdirectories, and it still doesn't work.

These are some of the connection strings I have tried:

datalayer=SqlServer;Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Initial Catalog=umbracoblog;User Id=admin;Password=********;

datalayer=SqlServer;Data Source=127.0.0.1\SQLExpress;Initial Catalog=umbracoblog;User Id=admin;Password=*******;

I have also tried putting in the connectionstring into the web.config, manually, but that just makes the project load infinitely in the browser, when I run it.

It's starting to get frustrating, that I cannot even get past the configuration of Umbraco, because it look very cool. I have tried everything I was able to found online. Have anyone gone through this and know what I need to do ?

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Oct 17, 2015 @ 12:01
    Steve Morgan

Not sure I recognise the datalayer in the webconfig - where are you changing this?

You should have around line 50 something like this:

<connectionStrings>
    <remove name="umbracoDbDSN" />
    <add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="server=127.0.0.1\SQLEXPRESS;database=umbracoblog;user id=admin;password=YOURPASSWORD" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
    <!-- Important: If you're upgrading Umbraco, do not clear the connection string / provider name during your web.config merge. -->

I always check my users by logging into the SQL Management Studio tools as that user too to rule that out.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft