Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Griffiths 370 posts 1021 karma points
    Oct 28, 2015 @ 09:12
    Paul Griffiths

Visual studio & Umbraco 7 install

Hi All,

I apologise if this has been asked before but I have a question about visual studio and the Umbraco back office.

I recently followed a tutorial to get the latest version of umbraco installed via nuget in visual studio 2103 (install umbraco cms). I created my own SQL instance and connected successfully and everything went pretty smoothly. However, during my install it installed the Fanoe starter kit and I can see in my visual studio project (show all files) that there are already templates etc. that have been created which must be part of the starter kit.

enter image description here

My question is, why are these starter kit files not showing up in the Umbraco back office for me to begin using them? From visual studio I have included all the additional files into my project but still they do not show.

I have also tried to uninstall the Fanoe starter kit but the files have not been removed from my visual studio project. Can someone explain how these are all linked please?

Many thanks

Paul

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Oct 28, 2015 @ 10:52
    gary

Hi Paul

Will try . .

The "views" are in the settings section of Umbraco under Templates. You can edit them there or in VS.

If you uninstall the starter kit, you do get some ghost type files which if you try to open them it will say they are not there.

Points to note are.

You must create a doctype, with template, this template will then show as a view in VS. If you include in project you get intellisense and can edit from there.

If you edit the template from Umbraco and have the view open in VS, on return to VS it will tell you it has been updated, accept changes and you will see your changes made in Umbraco.

You cannot create views as no template attached to a doctype will be created in Umbraco. (Having said that I create partials in VS and also layout files, but that is because they are not attached to a specific doctype.

Hope that points you in a better direction.

Regards

Gary

• Paul Griffiths 370 posts 1021 karma points
    Oct 28, 2015 @ 11:16
    Paul Griffiths

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the detailed response some of the points you have raised have helped to clear things up.

I guess what i was expecting to see was post install was the templates created for the fanoe starter kit e.g. Home.cshtml, Master.cshtml, textPage.cshtml etc. (displayed in visual studio) to be shown in the umbraco back office in the settings sections under templates but nothing was there. The partial views were visible though. The following helps clear up why these are not visible in the Umbraco back office :)

You cannot create views as no template attached to a doctype will be created in Umbraco. (Having said that I create partials in VS and also layout files, but that is because they are not attached to a specific doctype.

With regards to the 'ghost files' your absolutely right although they still exist in VS when you try and open them I get the following error

enter image description here

This is starting to make sense now. Ill go ahead and do another install but without a starterKit.

Thanks for the information

Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft