Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dave de Moel 122 posts 574 karma points c-trib
    Nov 12, 2015 @ 09:40
    Dave de Moel

Visual Studio Web Deploy not working

Hey guys,

I have a problem. When trying to deploy an Umbraco website via Web Deploy in Visual Studio, I get the following error:

Error   2   Could not open Source file: Could not find a part of the path 'D:\Dev\...\umbraco\Install\Views\Web.config;\umbraco\Install\Views\Web.config'.

This happens with all web.configs at random, so sometimes it's the above one, sometimes it's the one in the xslt folder, etc.

This issue does seem to only happen in Umbraco v7.2.5 and 7.2.6. Or at least, those are the versions of the websites I have encountered the problem. Is there any known way to fix this? Or is my only option to upgrade both websites to a newer version?

Edit: I also seem to have this problem with a new Umbraco 7.3 project. Which is typical as I have several other 7.3 projects that do work.

Edit2 : On a completely fresh instance of Umbraco 7.3 the problem doesn't happen. I can't find a difference between the projects though.

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Nov 12, 2015 @ 11:13
    gary

Hi Dave

You should delete the install folder before deploying, as you have already installed Umbraco, it is no longer needed.

Try that and see if it cures the problem - if not then post the new error and we can see from there.

Regards

Gary

Nov 12, 2015 @ 11:14
    Dave de Moel

If I do that I get the error on the XSLT web config:

Could not open Source file: Could not find a part of the path 'D:\Dev\...\umbraco\Xslt\Web.config;\umbraco\Xslt\Web.config'.

Nov 12, 2015 @ 11:57
    gary

Hi

Properties on the config file are set to "do not copy" to output directory. So that is why. In the config it is set to not allow public download of any files within the folder.

Seems odd, because the main web config has the same setting. It does not appear anyone else is having the issue, so it must be a Visual Studio project issue. If you deploy via ftp, would the same happen I wonder?

Regards

Gary

Nov 12, 2015 @ 12:32
    Dave de Moel

That is definitely not the problem as my test project can publish just fine (empty Umbraco installation) and there it is also set to "Do not copy". Also setting it to "Copy always" or "Copy if newer" does not resolve the issue.

As far as ftp goes, we don't have that set-up on the server, so I can not test that. A file system publish works just fine though, though I prefer to use web deploy as that reduces the change of mistakes if set up correctly.

Nov 12, 2015 @ 12:38
    gary

Hi Dave

Here is a really stupid question, debug set to true or false?

Odd how fresh install deploys but "used" doesn't. Having debug set to true can cause some weird stuff to happen.

Other than that, need to think some more.

G

Nov 12, 2015 @ 13:29
    Dave de Moel

Debug is set to true as I want to release to a test server, so I need debugging. But it is also on in the empty project so I doubt that is the problem.

• Gary Devenay 39 posts 245 karma points
    Nov 12, 2015 @ 13:14
    Gary Devenay

Hi Dave,

Could you make sure that the Web.config files are included in the project? WebDeploy will only deploy files that are included in the .csproj files.

Nov 12, 2015 @ 13:30
    Dave de Moel

I checked the .csproj file and the web.config is included in it's content tree.

Edit: To test I also excluded and then re-included the web.config, but I still get the same error.

• Clamond Ng 7 posts 74 karma points
    Dec 06, 2015 @ 23:51
    Clamond Ng

Please see this link

https://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/60222-Umbraco-721-Build-fails-after-deploy-to-Azure-WebSite#comment-204204

Apply to both \umbraco\Install\Views\Web.config \umbraco\Xslt\Web.config

Hope that helps.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft