Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris 69 posts 75 karma points
    Feb 19, 2010 @ 22:09
    Chris

sql server or mysql?

Hi everyone,

For a new umbraco project, i have the choice between using mysql or sql server. (sql express is unfortunately not an option.)

Sql server hosting will cost my client a little more but is my preferred DB in combination with Umbraco. I worked with Mysql before, but only on php projects.

My question is: Are there any advantages in using sql server instead of mysql? I'm thinking about package support, performance, etc...

I would be happy to hear all your thoughts, advices, experiences that can make my decision easier. :)

Chris

• Kevin Farrow 46 posts 67 karma points
    Feb 19, 2010 @ 23:58
    Kevin Farrow

We have installed Umbraco using SQL Server 2005/2008 and MySQL and haven't noticed any performance issues.

We also use a number of packages and haven't had any problems or experienced any performance issues when using MySQL. Hope that helps.

BTW We use Arvixe web hosting (http://www.arvixe.com) who provide excellent cheap hosting that also supports Umbraco and gives you the choice of using SQL Server Express or MySQL.

• ben_a 65 posts 123 karma points
    Feb 20, 2010 @ 05:27
    ben_a

We use MySql for our production databases, even though we also have MSSql available.

I would like to add though that I have had some issues using MySql for Linux and Umbraco. Because of that we use MySql on Windows Server instead.

-Ben

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Feb 20, 2010 @ 09:34
    Douglas Robar

My preference, would be to use MS SQL if possible. The only reason is that it is used more often with umbraco and the rare package will not have been tested against MySQL and doesn't work a properly. The time/money it takes to debug and fix or workaround the issue far outweighs the incremental cost of using MS SQL in my opinion.

Though, having said that, MySQL is good and solid and you won't have a problem with most of the packages out there.

cheers,
    doug.

Feb 20, 2010 @ 22:13
    Chris

Thanks everyone for posting your advices!

I think I will follow Doug on this one... The costs of testing / debugging will probably outweigh the costs of using MS SQL on the long term...

That being said, I definitely will give Arvixe hosting a try for future projects. I've been looking for a good SQL EXPRESS host for a while.

Chreers,

Chris

• Zac 239 posts 541 karma points
    Apr 06, 2011 @ 19:16
    Zac

Hi Chris,

Have you tried Arvixe yet?  I'm looking for a new shared host for small projects and was very interested in them.
      How's their uptime and support?

I use SoftSys for some now but they've been very unreliable lately (lots of down time).

Thanks and I look forward to hearing back from you

Zac

• Janet Kirklen 102 posts 212 karma points
    Apr 06, 2011 @ 23:59
    Janet Kirklen

What is the minimum recommened database size for an Umbraco site?  I guess that would depend of the number of pages/nodes in the site.  I guess I'm wondering how much space Umbraco must have to run.

Apr 27, 2011 @ 15:52
    Chris

Hi Zac, sorry for my late reply! For some reason, i didnt receive an email notification about your post... 

Anyhow, yes I'm using Arvixe at this moment. If you compare price / quality they are really good. Support is always online when i need them, although I didn't have any downtime in the last months. (I'm currently using their VPS hosting but also used the shared hosting before.)

Let me know if you have any more questions... I'd be happy to help you out... And if you decide to sign up for an account at Arvixe, then feel free to use my affiliate signup: http://www.arvixe.com/2377.html. ;)

@Janet, You are right, the DB size will mostly depend on the number of pages / content nodes. But also on the size of your log table, the number of changes to your content pages (umbraco keeps a history of every change), etc. I have websites with a DB of 15MB, but also with a DB of 1GB... So, hard to answer your question. :)

If you worry about DB size, it's always possible to disable logging and clean the history of your content pages. There are several great packages to help you with that.

Chris

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft