Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Thomas Höhler 1237 posts 1709 karma points MVP
    Feb 22, 2010 @ 15:32
    Thomas Höhler

Weird problem using TinyMCE on Win 2008 R2

Hi,

Facts: Win 2K8, IIS6, Umbraco 4.0.3, SQL Server 2K8.

We have a problem using the TinyMCE on a Windows Server 2008 R2. Mostly we are using another editor so this problem occured late in the project. I added a new document type to the installation with a generic property from type Editor (TinyMCE v3). But when I click in the content area on the new created node from this doctype the cpu and the memory usage are going nuts. memmory swaps from 600 MB to 1.5 Gb in one second and back. cpu is goes from 90 to 100 % all the time and the node does not show the editor. And it browser independent (FF and IE8 tested). I have to kill the process to get to a normal site usage.

Filerights are set to network service with full rights (during development time).

Any idea is welcome..

Thomas

• Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Feb 22, 2010 @ 17:16
    Laurence Gillian

Very odd! I do all my development on a Windows Server 2008 R2 install and the sites are then deployed to Windows 2k8 Web Edition.

Not noticed this bug. Just tried recreating now on my virtual machine and its working perfectly.

Very very odd! Have you tried inspecting what the javascript associated to TinyMCE is doing?

Laurie

Feb 22, 2010 @ 17:52
    Thomas Höhler

tried to, but it's odd, cannot inspect directly, think it's some kind of configuration issue in IIShave to recheck all IIS settings.

btw: naturally it's not IIS6 it's IIS7 running integrated mode

Feb 22, 2010 @ 17:58
    Thomas Höhler

Seems to be some kind of problem with the compression which is activated by default. will investigate tomorrow in detail...

thx, Thomas

Feb 22, 2010 @ 18:12
    Laurence Gillian

Weird, running a fairly default IIS7 install here with compression.

Let me know what you find (: I'll have a further look into our setup this evening and see if I can recreate the problem. /L

Feb 24, 2010 @ 09:18
    Thomas Höhler

Update: yesterday I build up a second umbraco installation on the same server (same permissions) and had no problems using the TinyMCE. This morning I copied the first umbraco installation to the second (not overwriting the umbraco and umbraco_client folder) and had the same problem on the new test installation. So it has to be an interference problem with something I installed or the db is corrupt.

I have the following packages installed:

• FamFamFam Icons
    • Contour
    • ImageCropper
    • TreeMultiPicker
    • Umbimport
    • MacroPicker
    • ChangeUserPassword
    • Google Maps Datatype

Weird, cause I think that none of these packages should interfere with the TinyMCE

I also deleted the doctype and created a new datatype of TinyMCE3 and recreated another doctype. Everytime the same problem.

Weird, weird, weird...

Feb 25, 2010 @ 12:41
    Laurence Gillian

Have you tried replacing the TinyMCE files on the corrupt install?

Very odd, Lau

Feb 25, 2010 @ 13:54
    Thomas Höhler

I copied the files except the umbraco and umbraco_client folder to the new installation and got the same problem so it cannot be something with these files..

I am doing now workaround where I needed the TinyMCE, putting all the content hard into the template or into the xslt.

Timeline for the new site is monday, so I don't have any time left for experiments. next week I will take a deeper look into it...

Thx, Thomas

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Feb 25, 2010 @ 14:04
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Does your IIS compress dynamic and/ or static files?

Try disabling both. If a compressed file (compressed by umbraco) get re-compressed by IIS, it's likely to break something.

Peter

Feb 25, 2010 @ 14:10
    Thomas Höhler

It's a standard installation with compression tuned on. I turned it off, recycled everything, cleared the cache: the same problem. The second installation is also a standard installation and there it worked...

weird...

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Feb 25, 2010 @ 14:15
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Is the application-pool running under Network Service or under ApplicationPoolIdentity? (And is it for both sites/app-pools the same?)

Feb 25, 2010 @ 14:34
    Thomas Höhler

By default I did set it to the Network Service, but I tried also the ApplicationPoolIdentity...

Therfore that it worked on the second installation I think the db might be corrupt...

Mar 01, 2010 @ 17:06
    Thomas Höhler

Small update: Just installed a fresh umbraco 4.0.3, installed nearly the same plugins and imported the original website via packages. Now the editor is working without any problems...

So I thinkt that there is something wrong with the original database...

Will try to use the profiler and a db compare...

Mar 02, 2010 @ 10:09
    Thomas Höhler

Next Update: Just doubled the original installation and installed 4.1 beta 2 on there: the problem is still there => think my db is corrupt...

Mar 10, 2010 @ 14:10
    Thomas Höhler

Last update: this weekend I have created a clean 4.0.3 installation and moved all content to the new installation. Now I can use the TinyMCE without problems.

=> No solution of this problem, but thanks for the suggestions...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft