Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• billeeeee 3 posts 73 karma points
    Dec 15, 2015 @ 14:06
    billeeeee

I've inherited an Umbraco Site without knowing

Hi,

My company has inherited an Umbraco site without prior knowlege of this, and I have no idea how this works.

In a bid to get this working, I've uploaded the database and amended the web.config file to include the change of database.

Where should I go from here? At the moment I get; "The virtual path '/default.aspx' maps to another application, which is not allowed."

Note, I mention the version is v4, but I'm not certain of this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Jason 122 posts 637 karma points
    Dec 15, 2015 @ 15:25
    Jason

Well, I would suggest the obvious and get the site running locally first. Not a lot to go on from what you posted but I would have a look at this post to see if it helps with the error you are getting:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19277350/asp-net-virtual-path-maps-to-another-application-which-is-not-allowed

Are you trying to run the site from Visual Studio or IIS?

Once you can run the site locally than I would think that it would be a matter of what requests your client has for the site. For the most part Umbraco is fairly straight forward and the stuff you can do in a standard Web Forms site you can do with this version of Umbraco, there are just special helpers for the CMS content. Now I am saying that with out seeing the site, you could have a lot of XSLT stuff for the macros and then you are in a bit of a different world (personally I was never a fan of XSLT but it has it place).

If you are a .Net shop, Umbraco is a great CMS, so I would recommend working through this and think of suggesting to the client it is time to upgrade their version of Umbraco (rebuild might be better). The current version of Umbraco is really cool, in my opinion and I think even easier to work with since it is mostly all standard MVC.

Let us know any other issue you have, we are all more than happy to help.

Dec 15, 2015 @ 17:13
    billeeeee

I'm currently trying to run this on IIS
    ... and at present we're just trying to get the site working on our hosting as it is being migrated from another web developer (going out of business.)

The answer to the stackoverflow question doesn't really make much sense to me, as it fails to mention where I'm editing the virtual path. Would this be in IIS or Visual Studio?

I primarily develop with PHP so forgive my ignorance on this.

Thanks for the help

Dec 16, 2015 @ 21:01
    Jason

This virtual path would be in visual studio, but if you are not in visual studio then this is an IIS configuration issue, obviously. that link was just a stab in the dark with the little info provided. Without knowing how you have your hosting setup not much I can do to help, sorry.

Are you trying to run the development code or did you copy what is currently running for the site on the client production site? Are you trying to run this as a sub directory/virtual directory off of another site? VM or shared hosting (who is the hosting company?) Sorry to report that not all hosting company can run Umbraco even if the offer .Net, they just don't have the server configure correctly for a full on .Net web app.

Dec 17, 2015 @ 09:16
    billeeeee

Thanks for the reply. Please ask any questions you need to know.

Currently we are hosting this on heart internet, with a shared hosting account.

I've setup an IIS Application directory, in the hosting panel and moved the site into this. It's the only application in this hosting however.

I'm using a production version as far as I'm aware.

Thanks

Dec 21, 2015 @ 20:39
    Jason

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, busy week and weekend. I am not familiar with Heart Internet so I am not sure how their hosting panel works. This is an other stab in the dark but I think you may have two .Net apps some how configured and it is confusing the server. Usually with IIS/.Net shared hosting you do not need to create an application directory unless you are running a "sub application". IIS allows for applications with in an application and this might be the issue here, but like I said I am just guessing. You should have the Umbraco site at the root of the Windows hosting account and not as a sub applicaton of the domain. i.e http://my-site.com and not http://my-site.com/my-umbraco-site.

Have you ask Heart Internet for help configuring that hosting account?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft