Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• tesuji 95 posts 139 karma points
    Feb 22, 2010 @ 18:54
    tesuji

Install error: "Could not save the web.config file...."

I'm installing Umbraco on my shared-hosted website. I'm now on page 2 of the Umbraco install screens where you enter your database info. After I entered my database info, I get the following message on the install screen:

Could not save the web.config file. Please modify the connection string manually. Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.

So  manually changed the web.config, at the line "<add key="umbracoDbDSN"... Then I FTP'ed the new web.config up to my site. But I still get this error. 

The db connection should be correct now. How do I get past this page 2 of the install screens? 

Or does this error mean I have a larger problem with my file permissions?

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Feb 22, 2010 @ 19:46
    Dirk De Grave

tesuji,

Most probably a permission issue again, it's a known issue when using ftp to upload new files, it seems somehow to reset permissions... May be a hoster's task to get the permissions right again.... 

Cheers,

/Dirk

• tesuji 95 posts 139 karma points
    Feb 22, 2010 @ 21:07
    tesuji

The error message appears to say it's possible to edit the web.config manually. Is that an option? I did that but I don't know how to get past this screen.

• George 2 posts 22 karma points
    Mar 03, 2010 @ 16:07
    George

Hi Dirk 

I am doing an installation on Vista with IIS 7

I have the application pool's Process Model "Identity" value set to "NetworkService"

I have confirmed that the Built-in account's effective permissions to the files are set to full control on my machine,

but I can't get past screen 2 of the wizard.

I manually edited the web.config file to update the connection string ... but no luck, I can't move on  

So I know this is probably some sort of permissions issue but I don't know where look any more to be able to fix it.

Kind regards

George

• George 2 posts 22 karma points
    Mar 03, 2010 @ 16:23
    George

Hi Dirk 

I got Lucky - I noticed that the account 'IUSER' was missing from the permissions dialog.

I added the user, edited permissions and so I could continue with installation.

• Jose Cerqueiro 25 posts 84 karma points
    Mar 05, 2010 @ 02:56
    Jose Cerqueiro

Hi, I'm trying to install version 4.03 (Win 2003 and SQL Server) and got the same message.

I followed instructions to set folder permissions using both methods ICACLS and SetAcl with no result.

I manually modified web.config but can't get pass screen 2 of the wizard. It keeps telling me "Could not save the web.config file"

Best regards

• Jose Cerqueiro 25 posts 84 karma points
    Mar 05, 2010 @ 13:15
    Jose Cerqueiro

Hello, After some google search, I found the way to bypass the problem by editing "detect.ascx" and enabling the "install" button ...

Just set Visible="True" ans was able to go to step 3 ... I didn't like the workaround by it worked.

Thanks ...

• Samir Patel 2 posts 22 karma points
    Dec 24, 2010 @ 18:00
    Samir Patel

I too had the same issue.

The issue is because of permission issue.

For Users : ADD AspNet User to administrator group so that it has full rights

(Start-Settings-ControlPanel-AdministratorTool-ComputerManagement-Click Users Group

Right click on AspNet User- Select Properties -In Member of TaB - Select Add - Select Advance-Click FindNow-Select Administrator group-Click Ok-Again OK

You should now be able to move to step 3 by

GOOD LUCK

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft