Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Goomba 4 posts 74 karma points
    Jan 02, 2016 @ 22:56
    Goomba

Umbraco 7 - View Errors.

Hey all, I have a very strange issue, that I cannot seem to resolve via giggle... Actually, I found so many posts about views and controllers that I figured "there is no way" that I am going to trust a post with 60 to 90 yakkers - names in lights and all that...

I install Umbraco Ver "UmbracoCms.7.3.3" and followed every video and tutorial (which are quite excellent). Anyway, on we go. During the entire video series and all the tuts I could find, I have absolutely no issues or errors - everything just worked - WOW and Great.

So now, I created a new site (one that will be for a client), followed by very detailed install steps (New Site, ASP 4.0, Permissions etc).

Created new SQL2K8R2 DB and account. Mapped the acct to the db (tested with another app). All good.

Extracted the zipper to the new folder, installed with a sample site, and now I get: Server Error in '/umbraco' Application. The partial view 'MainNavigation' was not found or no view engine supports the searched locations. The following locations were searched: ~/Views/RenderMvc/MainNavigation.aspx ~/Views/RenderMvc/MainNavigation.ascx ~/Views/Shared/MainNavigation.aspx ~/Views/Shared/MainNavigation.ascx ~/Views/RenderMvc/MainNavigation.cshtml ~/Views/RenderMvc/MainNavigation.vbhtml ~/Views/Shared/MainNavigation.cshtml ~/Views/Shared/MainNavigation.vbhtml ~/Views/Partials/MainNavigation.cshtml ~/Views/MacroPartials/MainNavigation.cshtml ~/Views/MainNavigation.cshtml

The settings here are correct: /config/umbracoSettings.config file

Seriously, I am anal about step by step and installation processes. Everything checks out fine, and when I look into the "View" folders (in app and on disk) I do not see anything in "Partial".

I have tried both sample sites and an "Empty One".

What have I missed or done wrong?

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Jan 03, 2016 @ 13:47
    Charles Afford

Hi, So do you have a site under C:/inetpub/

Are there any files in it?

What package did you install?

Sounds like a problem with the install or the package. You are missing razor views

Jan 03, 2016 @ 21:28
    Goomba

Problem Solved; feel free to add this to your "Troubleshooting" or "Help Docs". It can be reproduced at will and "me thinks" it will almost always result in this type of error.

Not gonna waste time verifying the results, but I've reproduced it 4 times on my win laptop ("IX" seems okay tho).

The Greasy Details -->> Windows DNS search order was the culprit. Even tho the DNS name was entered into the local "Host File" (flushed DNS cache etc...). Generally the DNS search order is "host File", "appended dns suffix", DNS Server then Netbios.

Windows will attempt to use "Round Robin" for DNS resolution, which means it will try the Host file, 1st DNS server, then the 2nd and so on - supposed to offload flood requests to DNS servers".

The fix is to never use a "Real Domain" in the host file, append it with something like ".local", ".lan" etc.

Linux is a little different which is why is always seemed to work on our Centos 6.6 box, but Window was random.

I hope this helps others.

Cheers all...

Jan 03, 2016 @ 21:31
    Charles Afford

Ahhhhh that makes sense. I always append with .local but had the same sort of thing the other day. Well done finding the answer :)

Jan 03, 2016 @ 21:47
    Goomba

Yeah, sometimes it pays to back to the basics - and "Wireshark" is our best friend. I do have an anal part of me that just won't let things go - I have the need to find out the "Why", especially when something "Kinda works"...

I do have to say, at one point I was about to dump Umbraco and continue using ModX (which I will always use, but it's role is different).

So now, I get to spend the rest of my day building a "real site" thanks to the vids and docs.

At the point where I am playing with (trying to figure out) how to install, use and select the right "Tools/Apps/Add-ons".

It's a learning thing; gotta drop the ModX thinking and do the "Umbraco" thing, but that will come together pretty quickly I would think.

Jan 03, 2016 @ 21:54
    Charles Afford

Awsome good luck :). Hope it goes well. If you run into problems post again or send a tweet out with #umbraco and @Charles_Afford and i will try and help and someone should respond :)

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Jan 03, 2016 @ 23:49
    Nicholas Westby

Interesting. How would DNS issues cause a problem with Umbraco/MVC attempting to find a partial view?

The only way I can think of that being a problem would be if the incorrectly resolved domain name was routed to an entirely different site that happened to also be Umbraco and that had an error.

Jan 04, 2016 @ 02:05
    Goomba

Exactly...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft