Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Torbjørn 12 posts 32 karma points
    Feb 23, 2010 @ 19:26
    Torbjørn

Removing umbraco: traces of UrlRewritingNet.UrlRewriter

I am using one development computer, and now its time for a web project where I am not using Umbraco.

Now I've tried removing the entire IIS and re-installing it, but there still seems to be traces from Umbraco.

With my new WebApp not using Umbraco, I am getting this error:

"Could not load file or assembly 'UrlRewritingNet.UrlRewriter' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified".

I am in no way an IIS expert, so can someone please tell me how I can remove all traces of Umbraco, so that I can successfully use my IIS for other types of .NET WebApps?

(I might have installed Umbraco on the root/Default Web Site, which might be silly in the first place...but if I didn't, I got some issues when accessing sub-folders of Umbraco)

Thanks in advance!

• Lee Kelleher 4023 posts 15812 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Feb 23, 2010 @ 19:42
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Torbjørn,

Are you trying to re-use anything from your previous Umbraco-powered websites? Like the Web.config, or other DLLs?

My guess would be that "UrlRewritingNet" is still referenced in the Web.config - hence why you are getting that error.

We'd need to know a bit more about your set-up before anyone can help you resolve the problem.

You can always point your "Default Web Site" to a different directory - and start afresh - that will have no association with the Umbraco modules.

Good luck, Lee.

• Torbjørn 12 posts 32 karma points
    Feb 23, 2010 @ 19:47
    Torbjørn

Oops...silly me, you are right. The web.config in inetpub\wwroot did have reference to UrlRewritingNet...

My other WebApp was however located in another folder, with a Virtual Directory pointing to it, so I didn't think the web.config in wwwroot would play any role for the other/new WebApp. As stated, I'm not an IIS expert..

Thank you Lee!

• Lee Kelleher 4023 posts 15812 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Feb 23, 2010 @ 20:08
    Lee Kelleher

No worries Torbjørn.  It's worth remembering that Web.config settings are applied to all child web-apps (i.e. in Virtual Directories) - you can use the <location> element to make specific application/config settings... there's loads more about it on MSDN:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815174

Cheers, Lee.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft